Sentence upsets victims' families


POSTED: Thursday, February 18, 2010

A state judge sentenced Billy Lamug to five years of probation yesterday for killing his two friends in a one-car crash less than a month before all three were scheduled to graduate from Waialua High School.

Shane Bachiller and Lanakila Vierra, both 18, died in the May 13, 2006, early-morning crash. Another person suffered permanent injury. Lamug and another passenger escaped serious injury.

Circuit Judge Michael Town also ordered Lamug, 21, to perform 400 hours of community service, write letters of apology to the victims' families and pay $6,133 restitution.

The families were hoping Lamug would serve time behind bars.

“;If I did something wrong or hurt somebody or maybe killed somebody, I would take whatever. (If) I got to go to jail my whole life, I would,”; said Bachiller's grandmother, Julie Pedro, stating her disappointment over the sentence.

Town ordered Lamug to serve a year in jail as a condition of his probation but suspended the jail term.

The victims' families also expressed frustration that the case took so long and that they never heard a word of concern or apology from Lamug or his family.

;[Preview]  Billy Lamug will not spend a single day in prison

Families of the victims were outraged with Lamug's sentencing, the man whose speeding killed two friends.

Watch ]


Lamug's lawyer, Dean Hoe, apologized to the families because he said it was at his advice that Lamug remain silent until the resolution of the case.

After graduation, Lamug went to a technical school in Arizona to learn to be an auto mechanic and has settled there.

Lamug faced the survivors and victims' families and told them, “;I want to say from the bottom of my heart that I'm so really, really sorry for this accident.”;

“;This was no accident,”; said Pat Pedro, Bachiller's mother.

Lamug pleaded no contest last December to two counts of second-degree negligent homicide and one count of first-degree negligent injury.

Derrick Nacario, 21, who survived the crash, told Lamug he should have pleaded guilty.

“;You gotta man up, cuz. You gotta take responsibility,”; he said.

Courtney Enriques, 20, spent 50 days in the hospital after the crash, undergoing 10 surgeries, including one to amputate her left foot. She told Lamug she lost her confidence and self-esteem because of her injury.

She can't wear sandals or slippers and is ashamed to show her foot to others, she said.

“;This is what you did. This is what you left me with,”; she said.

Lamug, Bachiller, Vierra, Nacario and Enriques were heading back to Waialua from Waipahu, where they had celebrated Bachiller's 18th birthday.

Police said Lamug was speeding.

Hoe said Lamug was driving 60 mph in a 35 mph zone on Kaukonahua Road.

Enriques told police some of the passengers were cheering on Lamug. Vierra told him to slow down. Lamug kept speeding.

“;Why didn't you slow down, Billy?”; Vierra's mother, Gwen, asked Lamug.

Lamug lost control of his subcompact car near Thompson Corner. The car rolled over several times, ejecting Bachiller and Vierra.

Bachiller was pronounced dead at the scene.

An ambulance took Vierra in extremely critical condition to the Queen's Medical Center, where he died.