Police and Fire


POSTED: Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Police seek suspect in attempted killing

Police were searching yesterday for a man wanted in the investigation of an attempted murder of two men who were dealing drugs Monday night at Wailee Beach on the North Shore.

Two men, ages 27 and 46, were waiting in their parked vehicle at Wailee Beach “;to conduct a drug transaction with a known associate,”; police said.

One of the suspects came out of the darkness and began arguing with the men, police said. The man allegedly fired three shots at the men, hitting the vehicle and the driver in the ankle, police said.

The two men quickly reversed the vehicle and drove to Sunset Beach Fire Station to get help, police said.

The suspects fled in an older vehicle.

Police found a 23-year-old Pupukea man early yesterday morning at his home and arrested him on suspicion of two counts of attempted second-degree murder.

The second suspect had not been found.

Man dies after being caught in Maui riptide

A 49-year-old man from Portland, Ore., died after being caught in a riptide off Oneloa Beach in Makena, Maui, said Acting Maui Police Capt. Lester Wong.

The victim was swimming with a companion at Oneloa, also known as Little Beach, at about 12:15 p.m. when they ran into trouble in the riptide, police said.

Lifeguards brought both men to shore and began cardiopulmonary resuscitation on the victim but could not revive him.

He died on the beach, police said.

The other man was taken to Maui Memorial Medical Center in good condition.

Search to continue for Kailua-Kona man

Big Isle fire rescue personnel will continue to search today for a 30-year-old Kailua-Kona man who drifted out to sea Monday afternoon after diving into high surf.

Police said the man was reported missing after he jumped off a cliff at the end of Alii Drive, at a spot known as “;End of the World.”; Officials have not identified the missing man. The high surf made it difficult for the man to scale 20-foot cliffs to get out of the water, officials said.

The Hawaii County Fire Department sent divers into high surf yesterday to search for the man, but visibility was poor.

Wave heights were about 8 feet (face value) yesterday, and at least 10 to 12 feet on Monday.