Contact Humane Society if you find lost dog


POSTED: Wednesday, January 06, 2010

QUESTION: I found a lost dog on New Year's Eve. What should I do?

ANSWER: If you have found a pet that does not legally belong to you, the law requires that you contact us. The Hawaiian Humane Society is the City and County of Honolulu's official Lost & Found Center. Complete a Found Animal Report with us by calling 946-2187 or file a report online at A lost animal can be scanned for a microchip ID at the Hawaiian Humane Society's 24-hour Admissions Center or at a veterinarian's office. You may keep the pet in your residence while we work on finding the owner. Ownership does not automatically transfer after 30 days if you are holding a found pet in your residence. Contact us at 946-2187 for assistance in these special circumstances.

The Hawaiian Humane Society welcomes questions by e-mail, .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). Indicate “;Pet Ohana”; in the subject line.

Join our Pet Ohana today!

We're starting a new blog and want to show our readers your critter companions, whether they're furry or scaly, feathered or finned. E-mail your pet photos to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address), along with the pet's name, where he/she lives and any other details you'd like to share about your pet. We're also happy to include the human companion's name, but that's optional. Your pet's photo will be published on for all your friends and family to see.