Section 8 fraud can be reported to state agency


POSTED: Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Question: After looking through the Hawaii State Web site, I could not find a phone number or e-mail address in regard to reporting Section 8 fraud. Also, how long after a complaint is made will it be investigated, and will my complaint be confidential?

Answer: The Hawaii Public Housing Authority oversees the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program.

To report suspected fraud, call the authority's Section 8 Subsidy Programs Branch at 832-6040 or call the city Rental Assistance Branch at 768-7096. You may also send a letter to the branch, 1002 North School St., Honolulu, HI 96817.

“;Our investigations start the moment we receive any information regarding fraud,”; said Dexter Ching, chief of the Section 8 Subsidy Programs Branch.

Complaints are kept confidential, as are all application and tenant records, he said.

However, by the same token, “;We will not report back (to the complainant) due to confidentiality,”; Ching said.

Once fraud is alleged, “;We will ... take any steps necessary to abate the situation,”; he said.

Investigations of Section 8 fraud involving financial assistance from the state Department of Human Services will take longer.



My 92-year-old father often has difficulty finding a disabled parking space. I find it incredible how many people in Hawaii abuse disabled parking placards. I definitely do not want to question anyone's disability. However, one morning last month at Kahala Beach Park, I saw a Lexus SUV park in the remaining disabled space in the parking lot. The car had a disabled placard from the state of Oregon. The owner got out of the car, walked to the bathroom, then went for a one-hour jog! As he was running out of the lot with his iPod on, I told him, “;You don't look disabled,”; and he just turned and smiled. I didn't think it was funny. That's not how we respect the disabled in Hawaii, and I'm pretty sure it's unacceptable in Oregon or anywhere else. - Steve

The Honolulu Police Department can't issue a citation unless an officer witnesses the violation, said spokeswoman Michelle Yu.

Parking placards from other states may be used in Hawaii and vice versa. But HPD would need a placard number to check its validity with Oregon officials, she said.

It may be too late in this case, but if you see a vehicle repeatedly parking in the same stall and question a placard's validity, Yu said to call the Traffic Division's Disabled Parking Enforcement Program, 529-3136.



To the men and women working at the Kaneohe Post Office. I went there several times during the past holiday season and each time I was amazed at the efficiency with which they worked. They all had smiles and were willing to help in whatever way possible. A special thanks should be given to Renee, who worked the kiosk and made trips to the post office quicker and easier than I ever thought possible! I think it is important to thank those who allow us to make the holidays special for our loved ones that are far away! - Carrie/Kaneohe


Write to “Kokua Line” at Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 7 Waterfront Plaza, Suite 210, 500 Ala Moana, Honolulu 96813; call 529-4773; fax 529-4750; or e-mail. .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).