For Your Benefit
For and about Hawaii's military

Veterans benefits forms
available from VA Web site

Question: Does the Department of Veterans Affairs have a Web site where I can download various VA forms so I don't have to make a trip to VA at the Tripler Army Medical Center site every time I need one?

Answer: Veterans and VA employees can now find and print electronic copies of veterans benefits administration, veterans health administration and National Cemetery Administration forms from www.va.gov/vaforms. Links to other useful forms Web sites are also provided.

VA has invested in technology which will allow forms to be filled and printed and eventually be electronically transmitted.

Q: If a veteran is enrolled in the VA and requires emergency treatment, but has no insurance or way to pay the bill, can the VA assist this veteran?

A: The VA is reimbursing non-VA hospitals for emergency services provided to eligible veterans who have no other means of payment. To qualify, veterans must be enrolled in VA health care; have been seen by a VA health care professional within 24 months; carry no other form of health insurance, including Medicare or Medicaid.

If any third party pays all or part of the bill, VA cannot provide reimbursement. It is strictly for emergency care and when no other VA or federal facility is available.

For more information about the emergency care benefits, call 433-0600.

If you have questions about your benefits as a veteran, call Fred Ballard at the Veterans Affairs at 433-0049 or visit the VA Web site at www.va.gov/hawaii or the Star-Bulletin at 529-4747.

Gregg K. Kakesako, who covers military affairs for the Star-Bulletin, can be reached by phone at 294-4075 or by e-mail at gkakesako@starbulletin.com.

See also: In The Military

| | |
E-mail to City Desk


© Honolulu Star-Bulletin -- https://archives.starbulletin.com