For Your Benefit
For and about Hawaii's military

School benefits
handled on mainland

Question: I attend college in Honolulu and have not received my education assistance benefits. Whom can I contact to check on the status of my application?

Answer: The payment of educational benefits is not handled by the local VA Office. Veterans living in Hawaii are under the jurisdiction of the Muskogee, Okla., processing center at (888) 442-4551. Please remember that Oklahoma is in the Central time zone, so any call should be made to them as early in the morning as possible. For general information regarding entitlement to VA education benefits, visit the VA education Web site at www.gibill.va.gov.

Q: As a female veteran, I was wondering what VA services are available to women veterans.

A: A full range of comprehensive medical services including health promotion and disease prevention, primary care, women's gender-specific health care (e.g., hormone replacement therapy, breast and gynecological care, maternity and limited infertility excluding In-vitro fertilization), acute medical/surgical, telephone triage, emergency and substance abuse treatment, mental health, domiciliary, rehabilitation and long-term care. For more information, call either the Honolulu VA office at (800) 827-1000 or the VA Medical Center at 433-0600.

If you have questions about your benefits as a veteran, call Fred Ballard at the Veterans Affairs at 433-0049 or visit the VA Web site at www.va.gov/hawaii or the Star-Bulletin at 529-4747.

Gregg K. Kakesako, who covers military affairs for the Star-Bulletin, can be reached by phone at 294-4075 or by e-mail at gkakesako@starbulletin.com.

See also: In The Military

| | |
E-mail to City Desk


© Honolulu Star-Bulletin -- https://archives.starbulletin.com