Husband charged
in night of assault

A 39-year-old man who allegedly terrorized his estranged wife and three others at her Chinatown apartment for nearly 14 hours Monday -- setting one on fire and sexually assaulting another -- has been charged with 14 counts ranging from kidnapping to attempted murder.


William Alston: The 14 counts range from kidnapping to attempted murder

William Alston is being held in lieu of $150,000 bail. He was charged yesterday with one count of attempted murder, two counts of first-degree sexual assault and four counts of kidnapping.

He also faces four counts of terroristic threatening and one count each of third-degree sexual assault, third-degree assault and abuse of a household member.

The early-morning incident in Unit 1805 at the Hale Pauahi apartments, 155 N. Beretania St., started at about 2 a.m. when Alston's estranged wife arrived home. Police said he allegedly started to argue with her and beat her, and the woman's roommate came to her aid.

When the man tried to call security, Alston allegedly stabbed him three times, according to court documents released yesterday. The suspect then allegedly tied up the man with cloth and telephone wires and doused him with alcohol.

When Alston pulled out a lighter, the victim tried to get up and run away but was unable to. Before setting the man on fire, the suspect allegedly told his wife, her roommate and two of her acquaintances in the apartment that they were "going to die," court documents said.

Police said the victim received burns to his torso and hands. Alston also allegedly tied up his wife, beat her with an iron bar and sexually assaulted her.

A friend of the suspect's wife was allegedly stabbed three times with a butcher knife. Then the suspect allegedly kicked the woman, bound her and forced her to perform oral sex on him three times, court documents said.

A fourth victim told Alston that he was diabetic and was about to pass out. Alston's estranged wife told him he could trust her to pick up juice and a candy bar. She instead flagged down a passing patrol car and alerted officers.

The man who was stabbed and burned was last listed in serious condition at an area hospital, police said.

E-mail to City Desk


© Honolulu Star-Bulletin -- https://archives.starbulletin.com