Star-Bulletin staff and wire

Inouye seeks airport efficiency upgrades

Sen. Daniel Inouye praised security at Honolulu Airport yesterday but said he would like to get more money to improve efficiency there.

"This is the first stop for many of our foreign visitors, and the first impression is often the lasting one. And I'm happy to say that we leave a pretty good impression," he said after touring the airport and meeting with Transportation Security Administration officials.

Inouye said he would like to get $60 million to $70 million for more screening equipment and personnel at Honolulu Airport, but, because there are so many other demands for federal tax dollars, "realistically, we're hoping we can get something close to $35 (million)."

The TSA opened three new checkpoint lanes two months ago in an area designed for six lanes. It is working with the state to bring in more X-ray machines and to place them on the ground level to prevent congestion on the second-floor lobbies, said Sidney Hayakawa, federal security director for Honolulu Airport.

Campbell High set to reopen with water

Campbell High School was expected to be back in session today, after closing yesterday because of a small water-main break on campus.

Department of Education officials said a private contractor fixed the problem yesterday afternoon.

Campbell students got the day off because there was no water on campus, but were expected to return to school today.

Printing glitch hits satellite city halls

A computer glitch caused printing problems at satellite city halls islandwide yesterday morning, city spokesman Bill Brennan said.

The problem started about 11 a.m. and was linked to a malfunction with a city server, which has since been fixed. Customers could still complete transactions but could not immediately get printouts for their records.

The problem lasted for about an hour. Printouts were set to be mailed to those who had not received them, officials said.


Taking notice

» The Hawaii Theatre Center has re-elected chairman Robert Midkiff to lead its board of directors in 2005. Mary Weyand, Al Tomonari, Mark Wong and Kenwei Chong are vice chairmen; Anne Swanson, secretary; and Paul Schraff, treasurer.

New directors elected to three-year terms are Phoebe Cowles, John Geppert, Erik Ludwick, James MacArthur, Steve Metter and Allen Wolfe.

Police, Fire, Courts


By Star-Bulletin staff


Fire destroys bedroom in Wahiawa apartment

A fire destroyed the bedroom in a one-bedroom, one-bath Wahiawa apartment last night, leaving three adults and a child homeless.

Fire Capt. Emmit Kane said the four residents were at home when the fire broke out shortly before the 6:48 p.m. alarm yesterday, but all escaped unharmed. Firefighters had the blaze under control at 6:54 p.m.

A resident tried to extinguish the fire on his own, Kane said.

The fire consumed the bedroom, and heat and smoke damaged the rest of the third-floor apartment, Kane said.

The building at 125 Ohai St. was evacuated. Lower floor units sustained mostly water damage. No estimate of damages was available last night.

Teen arrested after allegedly stabbing boy

Police arrested a 13-year-old girl after she allegedly stabbed a 14-year-old boy in the chest in Wahiawa Tuesday.

Police said that at about 2:20 p.m. the victim kicked the suspect and challenged her after she brandished a knife during an argument. The suspect then stabbed the victim in the upper chest area, police said.

Another juvenile carrying a piece of wood chased the suspect from the scene, police said. Police later arrested the girl for investigation of second-degree attempted murder.

The victim was treated and released from the Queen's Medical Center.

Divorce dispute leads to alleged threat to kill

Police arrested a 52-year-old man who allegedly threatened to kill himself and his wife earlier this month.

On Feb. 6, both the suspect and his 41-year-old wife were arguing about their pending divorce when the victim attempted to leave their home on Hoihoi Avenue in Whitmore Village. The suspect physically restrained her from leaving the house and put her in a headlock, police said.

Police said that at some point the suspect grabbed a knife and said that both he and his wife would die together. Police said the victim did not report the incident until Feb. 10 out of fear.

Police located the suspect Tuesday when he showed up at Family Court hearing. He was arrested for investigation of kidnapping, terroristic threatening and abuse of a family member.

E-mail to City Desk


© Honolulu Star-Bulletin -- https://archives.starbulletin.com