Kokua Line
June Watanabe

Big trucks taking
over neighborhood

Question: One of my neighbors runs a business and always parks his company vans and trucks on the curbs on our residential block. Is it allowed under zoning laws to park commercial vehicles in a residential area this way? His vehicles are taking up a lot of curb space.

Q: I live on Alexander Street, a residential street. Can commercial vehicles park in a nonmetered parking space on the street? A van is always parked on the street, and when it is gone, it is replaced by another company van. I thought residential street parking was for residents of the street and not for commercial purposes.

Answer: Parking on a public street, no matter if it is in front of someone's house, is not reserved for that person or neighborhood residents.

A commercial vehicle is allowed to park in residential neighborhoods, but it is subject to a time limit IF it is above a certain weight or beyond a certain length. If neither, then it is merely subject to the laws governing noncommercial vehicles.

A commercial vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or more, or 20 feet in length or more, cannot park on public streets for more than four hours at a time, explained Capt. Jose Gaytan of the Honolulu Police Department's Traffic Division.

The length restriction was added to the city ordinance in 2001 and was aimed at limousines.

Exempted from the four-hour restriction are public utility and construction equipment vehicles being used for repair or construction work, or vehicles being used for the loading of goods, wares or merchandise, Gaytan said.

Noncommercial vehicles or commercial vehicles not above the stated weight or length limits are supposed to be moved at least once every 24 hours on a public street.

Call 911 if you see a violation.

Q: I lost the number to call for free credit rating reports. Can you print that again?

A: Hawaii residents could begin requesting free "credit file disclosures" (credit reports) every 12 months beginning last December.

You can get free reports from the three nationwide consumer credit reporting agencies -- Equifax, Experian and TransUnion -- by calling toll-free 877-322-8228.

You can also do it by going online at www.annualcreditreport.com or by sending a letter to Annual Credit Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA 30348-5281.


To many honest persons. Losing a wallet is disheartening, but since losing mine in December, I have been gratified that four different groups and individuals have made the effort to do the right thing and return items they found. Thanks to Cammy, to the students of Ala Wai Elementary and Iolani schools, and to another unknown person, most of the contents have been recovered, and I have been spared much inconvenience and worry. -- Dean Allerdice


See the Columnists section for some past articles.

Got a question or complaint?
Call 529-4773, fax 529-4750, or write to Kokua Line,
Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 500 Ala Moana Blvd., No. 7-210,
Honolulu 96813. As many as possible will be answered.
E-mail to kokualine@starbulletin.com

E-mail to City Desk


© Honolulu Star-Bulletin -- https://archives.starbulletin.com