For Your Benefit
For and about Hawaii's military

See also: In The Military

Some priority groups
qualify for drug cap

Question: Who qualifies for the annual cap on VA medication copayments?

Answer: The annual cap on medication copayments applies to priority groups 2 through 6. Priority 2 is veterans with service-connected disabilities rated 30 percent or 40 percent disabling. Priority 3 is former POWs, service-connected rated 10 percent or 20 percent disabling, discharged from active duty for a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, and veterans awarded special eligibility as disabled by treatment or vocational rehabilitation. Priority 4 is veterans who are receiving aid and attendance or housebound benefits, and veterans determined to be catastrophically disabled. Priority 5 is nonservice-connected veterans and service-connected veterans rated zero and noncompensable disabled, whose income and net worth are below the established dollar thresholds. Priority 6 are all other eligible veterans who are not required to make copayments for their care.

For more information on copayments, call the VA at 433-0600.

Q: For veterans who do not qualify for indefinite nursing-home care at VA expense, what assistance is available for making alternative arrangements?

A: When the need for nursing-home care extends beyond the veteran's eligibility, our social workers will help family members identify possible sources for financial assistance. Our staff will review basic Medicare and Medicaid eligibility.

Q: Is there a local Web site where I can go to read up on VA benefits?

A: It is This site presents a comprehensive overview of VA health care and benefits. In addition, the site provides a list of links to National VA, state Office of Veterans Services, Disabled Veterans Resources, Vet Centers, National Cemetery and a host of others. You can register online by downloading the forms and mailing or bringing them in person to the VA to complete the process. You can access the National VA directly at

If you have questions about your benefits as a veteran,
call Fred Ballard at the Veterans Affairs at 433-0049
or visit the VA Web site at
or the Star-Bulletin at 529-4747.

Gregg K. Kakesako, who covers military affairs for the Star-Bulletin,
can be reached by phone at 294-4075
or by e-mail at


E-mail to City Desk


Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
© 2004 Honolulu Star-Bulletin --