Police checked the identifications of golfers evacuating the Pali Golf Course after yesterday afternoon's shootings.

Pali shooting kills 2

Three men are arrested after
an argument among acquaintances
at a golf course ends in gunfire

Three men were arrested after a shooting at the Pali Golf Course yesterday afternoon that left two people dead and one critically injured.

The shooting occurred just after 1 p.m., when an argument erupted between two groups of men in the parking lot fronting the clubhouse, according to Deputy Police Chief Paul Putzulu.


Police said more than 10 rounds were fired.

"There was an argument of some sort. We don't know what precipitated it," he said, adding that the suspects and victims knew each other.

One man died shortly after being taken to Castle Medical Center. Two men were taken to the Queen's Medical Center, where one later died, police said. The other was in critical condition last night.

Putzulu said both the victims and suspects were men, possibly in their 40s.

One suspect was arrested at Honolulu Airport, and another voluntarily surrendered at the main police station, police said. Both were arrested for suspicion of murder.

A third man was arrested at the golf course for outstanding traffic warrants. Putzulu said the man may have been a victim, but he would be questioned.

Homicide Lt. Bill Kato said last night that police were not looking for any other suspects, but he added that officers would continue to investigate.

After the shooting, police searched the municipal golf course, brush surrounding the green, and neighboring areas by foot and air for up to three suspects who were said to have fled the course in a black Dodge or Ford Taurus.

No weapons were found at the scene, police said.

Brian Benavent told reporters he saw a man running on the golf course after shots were fired.

At 1:15 p.m. yesterday a caller at the course notified police of the shooting as it was happening. Ambulances were called for at 1:16 p.m., and several fire engines, with firefighters trained in first aid, were dispatched a minute later.

Witnesses told police that one injured man ran into the clubhouse after being shot, while another ran toward the golf course. Witnesses also reported seeing blood on the clubhouse's floor.

A witness who asked not to be identified said she was in the back of the pro shop when she heard what sounded like firecrackers.

She went to the parking lot and saw a man, who was bleeding, run toward the golf course. The man was later taken away in an ambulance, the witness said.

In all, she said she heard about six shots. First there were two shots, a pause, and then four more shots, she said.

Kapahulu resident Brian Benavent also saw someone running onto the golf course after the shots were fired. He said he was unsure whether the man was a victim or a suspect.

Police evacuated golfers from the course after the shooting and questioned them as they left the property.

David Sell, of Kaimuki, said he was with his friends when the police helicopter hovered overhead and an officer on a loudspeaker told him to leave the course.

"Who would have thought? ... This is the last place you'd expect it to happen," he said. "Everyone is just trying to have fun."

Golfer Henry Yu, of Hawaii Kai, said: "I didn't know anything happened until we were asked to leave. I've never experienced anything like this."

Police prepared to search the Pali Golf Course for suspects yesterday after three men were shot. Two male victims died, and another remained hospitalized in critical condition late last night. Three men have been arrested.

Police search the Pali Golf Course.


E-mail to City Desk


Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
© 2004 Honolulu Star-Bulletin --