Bob Ferro cleaned up yesterday at the apartment building where he lives on Kinau Street. The building was damaged by a fire on Thursday.

Apartment fire
victims regroup

The blaze began when cooking oil
was left unattended on a stove


Monday, Sept. 1, 2003

>> The apartment building fire in Makiki on Thursday was at 821 Kinau St. Articles on Friday and Saturday incorrectly reported the address as 827 Kinau St.

The Honolulu Star-Bulletin strives to make its news report fair and accurate. If you have a question or comment about news coverage, call Editor Frank Bridgewater at 529-4791 or email him at

Sanford Kajiwara peered into his Makiki apartment from his building's charred staircase yesterday to see what was left after fire swept through his home Thursday night.

"The kitchen area -- all that black part in the corner -- looks the worst. But I can't get in to see anything else," he said, pointing to the yellow caution tape that blocked the door to his second-floor apartment.

A fire at 827 Kinau St. roared through the two-story building and left at least seven people homeless, including Kajiwara, 41, whose apartment floor was burned and is too unsteady to walk on.

American Red Cross officials said three of the building's eight units were destroyed, two others were heavily damaged and the remaining three sustained smoke and water damage.

There were no injuries, but the fire caused an estimated $260,000 damage to the building and its contents, said Capt. Emmit Kane, Honolulu Fire Department spokesman.

The Red Cross provided temporary assistance to several victims whose homes were damaged or destroyed.

Annie Mariano, who lives several units from where the fire started, said she was exercising at the gym when it happened.

"I had to walk home because of the bus strike," she said. "On my way home, I was thinking, 'Oh, I can't wait to get home, take a shower, eat dinner, relax.' But as soon I as I walked up the driveway, I could smell smoke, and that's when I thought, 'Oh God, fire!'"

Mariano stayed at the Pagoda Hotel Thursday night, courtesy of the Red Cross. She returned to her apartment during her lunch break yesterday to pick up clothes and her green card.

"It still smells really, really bad in there," said Mariano, whose apartment was damaged by smoke. "People at work, they tell me I smell like barbecue food or a toasted marshmallow."

But it was hot oil used to deep-fry shrimp that started the fire, according to officials. The fire began after two residents in the bottom unit closest to Kinau Street left the oil unattended on a stove.


E-mail to City Desk


Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
© 2003 Honolulu Star-Bulletin --