For Your Benefit
For and about Hawaii's military

See also: In The Military

Care given for
dental conditions

Question: To what extent are dental services available for veterans here in Hawaii?

Answer: Veterans who have dental conditions or disabilities that are service-connected are eligible for free dental care. Veterans with service-connected dental conditions or disabilities that are not compensable may receive one-time treatment if the conditions can be shown to have existed at discharge. To be eligible for this benefit, the veteran must apply to the Department of Veterans Affairs for dental care within 90 days following separation.

Veterans may receive treatment for service-connected, noncompensable dental conditions resulting from combat wounds or service injuries. Veterans who were prisoners of war for 90 days or more may receive complete dental care.

Veterans may receive complete dental care if they are receiving disability compensation at the 100 percent rate for service-connected conditions, or if eligible to receive it by reason of unemployability. Nonservice-connected dental conditions that are determined by VA to be aggravating a service-connected medical problem may be treated. Veterans participating in a vocational rehabilitation program may be treated.

Q: How can I get my VA prescriptions refilled, as I am unable to drive? Are their ways to accomplish this without appearing in person at the pharmacy?

A: You can request it at the front window, and it would be helpful to bring in the empty bottles or receipts. Since you have difficulty in coming in person, you can telephone your request for a refill by calling 433-0050. Just follow the instructions and enter your Social Security number on the phone keypad. You will also need to enter the prescription or Rx number. Follow each transaction with the pound sign (#). At any time you can dial "8" to speak to someone in pharmacy; often, you will need to leave a message and someone will return your call. Your prescription will be mailed within 10 working days, so don't wait until your prescription completely runs out before calling. The third way is to mail in your refill slips or write out requests. You may use the address label that is given with your prescription. Again, don't wait until you run out, since prescriptions will be mailed within 10 working days.

VA can provide a 30-day supply of medicines (up to a 90-day supply of most chronic medicines). Refills may be filled 10 days early. Please inform the pharmacy staff if you are requesting more for vacation purposes (maximum 90 days).

If you have questions about your benefits as a veteran,
call Fred Ballard at the Veterans Affairs at 433-0049
or visit the VA Web site at
or the Star-Bulletin at 529-4747.

Gregg K. Kakesako, who covers military affairs for the Star-Bulletin,
can be reached by phone at 294-4075
or by e-mail at


E-mail to City Desk


Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
© 2003 Honolulu Star-Bulletin --