Amusing animal photography, fun and interesting facts about animals and accompanying quotes and poems make Just Kids an appealing picture book that teaches children about relationships and provides positive reinforcement.
abound in kids book
By Bonnie Kulcher (Willow Creek Press, hardcover, 32 pages, $12.95)
Hares that high five, snugly koala bears, fun-loving monkeys and a complacent panda bear are just a few of the cuddly critters that can be found in Bonnie Kulcher's new children's book, "Just Kids."
The new book follows the same pattern as her other ventures "Just Moms," "Just Dads" and "Just Sweethearts," which match inspirational quotes to photographs of furry, scaly and feathered friends. Fascinating facts about each animal are also featured.
While similar in format to Kulcher's other books, it is slightly larger in size, making it more kid-friendly.
The book starts with an adorable harp seal playing in the snow. The accompanying poem reads: "Snowflakes and fingerprints / You'll always find / Each one is different, / One of a kind. / And just like a snowflake / This, too, is true, / No one else is exactly like you."
One of my favorite pages displaying two snuggling American bison explains, "A friend is someone who knows your sensitive spots but will never poke you there."
Kulcher provides photos that help kids relate to relationships with peers and parents. The poems and quotes also provide positive reinforcement for children in the areas of friendship, care and perseverance.
BACK TO TOP
This list of last month's best-selling local titles was compiled using figures from the Hawaii Book Publishers Association and Bookline distributors, and reflects sales by Hawaii-based publishers. Numbers in parentheses indicate a title's previous ranking. Compiled by Nancy Arcayna.
1. "Hawaiian Flowers Cut-Out Paper Dolls," Yuko Green, Island Heritage
2. "Hawaiian Marine Life Color & Activity Book," Yuko Green, Island Heritage
3. "Limu -- The Blue Turtle," Kimo Armitage, Island Heritage
4. "Keiki Hula Sticker Paper Doll Book," Yuko Green, Island Heritage
5. "Golden Children of Hawaii Cut-Out Dolls," Yuko Green, Island Heritage
6. "Humu, The Little Fish Who Wished Away His Colors," Kimberly Jackson, Island Heritage
7. "Honu'ea & Honu Coloring & Activity Book," Yuko Green, Island Heritage
8. "Goodnight Gecko," Gill McBarnet, Ruwanga Trading
9. "Whalemail," Ron Hirschi, Island Heritage
10. "The Guide to Hawaiian Style Origami for Keiki" Jody Fukumoto, Island Heritage
Gift and Travel
1. "Hawaii's Best Local Dishes," Jean Watanabe Hee, Mutual Publishing
2. "A Little Book of Aloha," Renata ProvenzanoMutual Publishing
3. "Under a Maui Sun," Cheryl Chee Tsutsumi, Island Heritage
4. "Maui Revealed, 2nd Edition," Wizard Publications
5. "Today's Thought Vol. 2," Rev. Paul Osumi, Mutual Publishing
6. "Today's Thought, Vol. 3," Rev. Paul Osumi, Mutual Publishing
7. "Today's Thought," Rev. Paul Ozumi, Mutual Publishing
8. "Reflections of Kauai," Cheryl Chee Tsutsumi, Island Heritage
9. "Hawaii Big Island Revealed," Andrew Doughty and Harriet Freidman, Wizard Publications
10. "What is This Thing Called Aloha," Robert James, Island Heritage
1. "Let's Learn Little Hawaiian," Ray Helbig, Hawaiian Service
2. "Hawaiian Names, English Names," Eileen Root, Press Pacifica
3. "Hawaiian: A language map," Kristine K. Kershul and Lilinoe Andrews, Bess Press
4. "Hawaiian Journey," Joseph Mullins, Mutual Publishing
5. "All About Hawaiian (in Japanese)," Albert Schutz, Island Heritage
6. "Na Pua Alii o Kauai: Ruling Chiefs of Kauai," Frederick B. Wichman, University of Hawaii Press
7. "Hawaii Land of Volcanoes," Jan TenBruggencate, Mutual Publishing
8. "Hawaiians of Old," Betty Dunford, Bess Press
9. "Ancient Hawaii," Herb Kane
10. "Dismembering Lahui: A History of the Hawaiian Nation to 1887," Jonathan K.K. Osorio, University of Hawaii Press
1. "Da Jesus Book," Pidgin Bible Translation Group, Anoai Press
2. "Hawaii's Story," Lydia Liliuokalani, Mutual Publishing
3. "Mark Twain In Hawaii," Mark Twain, Mutual Publishing
4. "Mark Twain's Letters from Hawaii," Mark Twain, University of Hawaii Press
5. "Elvis in Hawaii," Jerry Hopkins, Bess Press
6. "Myths and Legends of Hawaii," W. D. Westerfield, Mutual Publishing
7. "Betrayal of Liliuokalani," Helena Allen, Mutual Publishing
8. "Legends and Myths Of Hawaii," David Kalakaua, Mutual Publishing
9. "Melal: A Novel of the Pacific," Robert Barclay, University of Hawaii Press
10. "Memories of Duke," Sandra Kimberley Hall and Greg Ambrose, Bess Press
1. "The Guide to Hawaiian Style Money Folds," Jodi Fukumoto, Island Heritage
2. "Things Hawaiian - Guide To Hawaiian Language," Albert Schutz, Island Heritage
3. "New Pocket Hawaiian Dictionary," Mary Kawena Pukui and Samuel H. Elbert with Esther T. Mookini and Yu Mapuanqa Nishizawa,University of Hawaii Press
4. "Pocket Guide to Hawaii's Birds," H. Douglas Pratt, Mutual Publishing
5. "A Dictionary of the Hawaiian Language," Lorrin Andrews, Island Heritage
6. "Hawaiian at a Glance," Albert J. Schultz, Island Heritage
7. "Pocket Guide To Hawaii's Flowers," Leland Miyano, Mutual Publishing
8. "Death and Taxes: Questions and Answers on Wills, Trusts and Probate," David C. LarsenUniversity of Hawaii Press
9. "So You Want to Live in Hawaii," Toni Polancy, Barefoot Publishing
10. "Hawaiian Lei in Crochet," Roberta Wong, Island Heritage
Click for online
calendars and events.