For Your Benefit
For and about Hawaii's military

See also: In The Military

Drug orders from Tripler
can now go directly to VA

Question: A friend told me that prescriptions could now be electronically transferred from Tripler Medical Center to the Department of Veterans Affairs. Is this something new?

Answer: Doctors at Tripler can now file their prescription orders directly into the Department of Defense composite health care system and have them transmitted electronically to the VA.

Prior to the introduction of this telepharmacy enhancement, prescription orders would be printed out in the VA pharmacy and then re-entered into the VA system.

The enhanced pharmacy system eliminates potential errors due to illegibility and transcription mistakes, and it allows doctors to enter their order without having to learn another computerized entry system.

The Pacific Telehealth & Technology Hui developed the computer program for this project.

Q: Is there an annual limit on my medication copayments at the VA?

A: For this year, the cap is $840.

The annual cap was established to eliminate financial hardship for veterans enrolled in certain priority groups (priority groups 2 to 6) who may require an unusually large amount of medications.

An annual cap was not established for veterans enrolled in priority group 7.

The amount of the medication copayment and the annual cap may be changed on a yearly basis.

If you have questions about your benefits as a veteran,
call Fred Ballard at the Veterans Affairs at 433-0049
or the Star-Bulletin at 529-4747.

Gregg K. Kakesako, who covers military affairs for the Star-Bulletin,
can be reached by phone at 294-4075
or by e-mail at

E-mail to City Desk

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
© 2002 Honolulu Star-Bulletin --