Wahine shut out
Wildcats before starting
long break

By Al Chase

The Hawaii Wahine evened the weekend series with Weber State, blanking the Wildcats 4-0 last night at the Waipio Peninsula Soccer Park Stadium.

Mahie Atay and Erin Chow each played a half in the goal to share the team's first shutout of 2002.

UH (3-5-2) built a solid halftime lead, which allowed Wahine coach Pinsoom Tenzing to play his second string much of the second half of the nonconference meeting.

The Wahine's next match isn't until the conference opener Oct. 11 against Tulsa, and the long break will give trainer Jayson Goo a chance to take care of numerous bumps, sprains, strains and pulls.

"That cuts both ways. The lack of competition could hurt or we could come back refreshed," said Tenzing. "Tonight we wanted to take advantage of the flanks which were wide open. We didn't do that Friday (in a 3-2 loss to the Wildcats). I wanted the defense to be more focused tonight and they were solid."

Weber State (4-5-1) had the only shot on goal in the opening 25 minutes, but both teams tried occasional long shots that sailed high or wide.

A pushing foul on the Wildcats led to the first UH goal. Erin Quattromani took the free kick from the left side. Her drive froze Weber State goalkeeper Kandice Golar as Carmen Calpo, 8 yards out, went high in the air for a head shot. The ball was too high for Calpo, but perfect for Mia Moe, celebrating her 22nd birthday, to punch it into the net off the left post at 26:24.

Wahine hustle in front of the Weber State goal paid off after Golar deflected Arlene Devitt's point-blank shot from the left off to the right. Quattromani tracked the ball down 8 yards past the right post, spun toward the goal line and chipped the ball to the other side, where Calpo headed it home at 33:32.

Hawaii went up 3-0 just before the half when Jessica Uecker passed long to Joelle Sugai up the left sideline. Sugai split the defenders with a pass to Devitt standing just inside the 18-yard line, also in space. The junior from Kauai brought the ball under control with a soft touch, then drilled a low shot just inside the left post at 44:42.

The Wildcats had a golden chance to get one goal back early in the second half, but an unmarked Rochelle Hoover launched her shot well over the crossbar from 12 yards out.

Hawaii made use of a long-distance give-and-go when Tia Medeiros sent a ball to Devitt on the left wing. Devitt pulled the ball back, cut inside the defender and crossed to Medeiros, who directed the ball into the net at 57:48 while doing the splits.

Weber State was denied on consecutive dangerous shots with backup goalkeeper Chow well off the line when Uecker headed a shot clear and Kelly McCloskey blasted another attempt clear while guarding the goal line.

Note: The Wahine play the alumnae at the campus field at 4 p.m. Saturday.

UH Athletics

E-mail to Sports Editor


Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
© 2002 Honolulu Star-Bulletin --