Police, Fire, Courts

By Star-Bulletin Staff

Arizona fugitive allowed to return to Garden Isle

LIHUE >> A Kauai community leader arrested last month as a fugitive from Arizona is back home while awaiting extradition proceedings.

Gary James Baldwin, 53, originally had been ordered to remain on Oahu and contact Honolulu police every day with his whereabouts.

But Baldwin returned to Kauai Aug. 2 after defense attorney Philip Lowenthal successfully had the conditions of his bail amended. Baldwin still must check in with Honolulu police every morning.

Baldwin, chairman of the Kauai Economic Development Board and a former member of the Kauai County Planning Commission and the Hawaii Tourism Authority, was arrested July 22 at his Kauai home. According to the FBI, he was indicted in September 1986 by a grand jury in Maricopa County, Ariz., for allegedly defrauding a prominent local doctor of about $300,000. After learning of the indictment, Baldwin left a suicide note and disappeared, the FBI said.

At an extradition hearing last month, Lowenthal said Baldwin was the man whom Arizona authorities were looking for, but his client denied having committed any crimes.

Baldwin agreed there was probable cause to proceed, but waived his right to an immediate hearing to ascertain his identity as that of the person sought by Arizona officials, according to court records.

Extradition proceedings are scheduled to continue later this month.

Tug aborts voyage after crew is stricken

WAILUKU >> Six crew members aboard a tug were examined at an Oahu hospital this week after complaining about tearing in their eyes and noses.

They discontinued their voyage from Honolulu to Hilo.

The crew working for Hawaiian Tug & Barge/Young Brothers Ltd. left Honolulu at 1:15 p.m. Sunday and called in to a company dispatcher that they were instead heading for Kaunakakai Harbor on Molokai.

Company safety official Dan Brechtel said the men spent Monday night at a hotel on Molokai, then went back to Oahu to be examined at Straub Clinic & Hospital.

Brechtel said the company suspects the source of the complaints was vapors from a recently painted water tank aboard the tug.

He said the tug had been tested for air quality prior to the voyage.

The tug was towed back to Honolulu and was being ventilated, he said.

Brechtel said none of the men were hospitalized.

"We expect they're OK," he said.


[Taking Notice]


>> The Hawaii Schools Federal Credit Union has donated $3,000 to the American Lung Association of Hawaii with proceeds from the FCU's Fourth Annual Middle Schools Student Talent Competition. Winners of the competition include Kendra Fischer from Waimanalo Intermediate School, first place, $200 prize; Lahaina Olsen-Kuroda, Remington Tang, Mychal Takao, Travis Nakasone and James Miyashiro of Kaimuki Middle, second place, $100 each; Max Louie of Mililani Middle; third place, $50.

>> Full Life has been awarded a $5,000 grant from First Hawaiian Foundation, the charitable arm of First Hawaiian Bank, to help provide personal assistance services to those with developmental disabilities on the Big Island.

"Taking Notice" runs on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.. Please send items to City Desk, Star-Bulletin, 500 Ala Moana, Suite 7-210, Honolulu, HI 96813.


Corrections and clarifications

The Honolulu Star-Bulletin strives to make its news report fair and accurate. If you have a question or comment about news coverage, call Managing Editor Frank Bridgewater at 529-4791 or email him at

Police, Fire, Courts


By Star-Bulletin staff

Honolulu Police Department Crimestoppers

A 65-foot sailboat named the Mystic ran aground yesterday offshore from the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Fire crews got all four people safely off the boat.


Getting boat off reef owner's responsibility

U.S. Coast Guard officials said it is up to the owner of a 65-foot sailboat to get it off the reef where it had run aground off Waikiki.

The boat, named the Mystic, got stuck at about 12:50 a.m. yesterday approximately a quarter-mile offshore from the Hilton Hawaiian Village, just east of the Ala Wai Small Boat Harbor.

Fire rescue crews said that on the boat were two couples who began sailing to Molokai at 10 p.m. Thursday but ran into trouble with radar and ended up turning around. Fire crews got all four people safely off the boat.


Big Island man dies of cycle crash injuries

Big Island police said a 22-year-old Hamakua man died yesterday after sustaining injuries from a motorcycle accident the night before in Hilo.

Police identified the victim as Shawn Walker of Honokaa. Police said that at 9:34 p.m. Thursday, Walker had been riding his 1998 motorcycle east toward Keaukaha on Kamehameha Avenue when he lost control of his bike, laying it down on the pavement and sliding off the right shoulder into a street lamp pole.

According to police, witnesses reported that the motorcyclist had pulled out of the Bayfront Chevron service station at a high rate of speed and that he was seen pulling "wheelies" with the motorcycle shortly before he crashed.

The victim was transported to the Hilo Medical Center and then flown in critical condition to the Queen's Medical Center on Oahu, where he was pronounced dead at 8 a.m. yesterday.

Traffic Enforcement Unit officers are continuing an investigation into the accident and have ordered an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death. Police said the victim was wearing a helmet.

Walker's death was the 17th traffic-related fatality on the Big Island so far this year, compared with 19 at the same time last year.

E-mail to City Desk


Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
< © 2002 Honolulu Star-Bulletin --