Kokua Line

By June Watanabe

Weeds allowed on
land zoned preservation

Question: We recently moved into Royal Kunia. Near our property is a huge vacant lot -- it's on Anonui Street between Puia and Halepuna streets -- that is overgrown with trees and weeds. The problem is that it's become a dumping ground for furniture, engine parts and construction material. But everyone denies owning the property. Police say they can't do anything because it's private property. Can you help get this cleaned up? When we moved here, we didn't think we were moving next to a dump.

Answer: Interestingly, because the property in question is zoned P-2 (preservation), the city cannot cite it for overgrown weeds.

That's because the city's vacant lot ordinance does not apply to preservation-zoned property, according to a city official.

However, an inspector did confirm there was junk on the property, so a notice of violation was issued to the owner -- a Japanese-based company -- to clean up the "litter." The notice was issued July 22, giving the owner 30 days to comply.

If you see no improvement later this month, call the city at 527-6308.

Q: I come from Molokai and am temporarily on Oahu with my son for medical reasons. What do I need to do to make my vote count?

A: Vote absentee by mail.

First, you must fill out an application for an absentee voter ballot and submit to the city or county clerk where you permanently reside -- on Molokai -- no later than 4:30 p.m. Sept. 13 for this year's primary election and by Oct. 29 for the general election.

Applications are available at satellite city halls, office of the city/county clerks, post offices, all public libraries and all state agencies.

You can either mail or drop off the completed application to the office of the appropriate city or county clerk. Your ballot and instructions on how to vote will then be mailed to you.

Any person registered to vote may cast an absentee ballot. You no longer have to have a reason, such as being out of town, but you still have to vote within the county you are registered to vote in.

Those who just want to vote absentee can do so between Sept. 9 and 19 for the Sept. 21 primary election and between Oct. 22 to Nov. 2 for the Nov. 5 general election. You need to bring proper identification and already be registered to vote.

Walk-in polling places are located at the city/county clerk's office and are open Monday to Saturday from 8 am to 4 p.m. For additional walk-in polling places and hours of operation, call the appropriate clerk's office: Honolulu, 523-4293; Hawaii, 961-8277; Maui, 270-7749; Kauai, 241-6350.


To Verizon for redelivering the telephone directory on the 3300 block of Loulu Street. The three young boys did a wonderful job, going garage to garage. Good job, boys! Keep it up. -- Manoa resident


To Joe, who was an angel who came to my rescue when I was stranded on the airport viaduct with a flat tire on Monday, July 29. I pray the Lord blesses you and your family. -- Andrea

Useful phone numbers

Got a question or complaint?
Call 529-4773, fax 529-4750, or write to Kokua Line,
Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 500 Ala Moana Blvd., No. 7-210,
Honolulu 96813. As many as possible will be answered.
E-mail to

E-mail to City Desk

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
© 2002 Honolulu Star-Bulletin --