Kokua Line

By June Watanabe

Best to check yellow
pages advertising offer

Question: Can you warn your readers about a scam? I recently received a call from a guy saying he was from "the yellow pages." I asked if he was with Verizon and he said yes and that he was calling because they noticed I am a doctor but didn't advertise in the yellow pages. I don't advertise because I feel I'm well enough known, but he said if I didn't buy an ad, I might fall through the cracks and not be listed. I asked to speak to a supervisor who said, "Well you obviously know what you want so thank you for your time" and hung up. I called Verizon and was told they didn't make the call. People should be aware that the term "yellow pages" is not copyrighted and that several companies are using that term.

Answer: Verizon Hawaii spokeswoman Ann Nishida says the company has heard about similar calls here and in other areas where Verizon provides directory services.

"Some are scams in which the caller tries to get the customer to mail money to a P.O. box," she said. People should use "their good judgment, ask questions and request a name and a call back phone number." They should then do what you did -- call Verizon to verify the call, she said.

Nishida said that all business customers who have telephone lines through Verizon or other competitive local exchange carriers receive one free listing in both the Verizon white pages and the Verizon yellow pages, also known as the SuperPages. All businesses with telephone service also receive free listings on, the online directory.

Q: My neighbors built a six-foot solid concrete wall between their driveway and ours. The wall is unsightly and we would like to paint our side a more appealing color. Because the wall is two inches on their side of the property line, they say we cannot paint it. Do we have the right to paint our side of their wall?

A: If the wall is on your neighbors' property, it belongs to them and you have no right to paint it without their permission.

In a previous Kokua Line, a city official noted there is nothing in the law requiring fencing or walls separating properties to "accentuate" both properties.

Whoever is building a fence or wall is supposed to build it on their property in the first place. So unless the wall intrudes on your property, or unless he didn't have the proper permit or exceeded permit requirements, there is nothing you can do.

If you have further questions, call the city housing code section at 527-6308.


To the man delivering our telephone directory on Loulu Street in Manoa. Rather than going into the driveway and putting it in the garage, he just threw it on the sidewalk. The bag was torn and the book was scattered on the sidewalk. -- Anonymous

(Verizon is working with the contractor hired to distribute directories in the area "to resolve this issue immediately," said Verizon spokeswoman Ann Nishida. "We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused our customers and thank them for their patience and understanding.")

Useful phone numbers

Got a question or complaint?
Call 529-4773, fax 529-4750, or write to Kokua Line,
Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 500 Ala Moana Blvd., No. 7-210,
Honolulu 96813. As many as possible will be answered.
E-mail to

E-mail to City Desk

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
© 2002 Honolulu Star-Bulletin --