Kauai Humane Society director Becky Rhoades spent some time yesterday with Hok Get, who is in quarantine. The rescued sea dog arrived Monday and will be quarantined until Aug. 30. Hok Get is still trying to get her land legs after being stranded on the Indonesian tanker Insiko for 24 days, but she had the energy to try to dig out of the facility's grounds. After the 2-year-old terrier's quarantine ends, she will be adopted by Michael Kuo, a friend of Chung Chen-po, Hok Get's owner.

‘Survivor’ dog gets
settled in during
her stay on Kauai

Hok Get will have a new home
after she serves her quarantine

From staff and wire reports

LIHUE >> Hok Get, the seafaring dog that spent nearly 25 days lost at sea alone on the abandoned oil tanker Insiko, is starting to adapt to her temporary home on Kauai, according to the Kauai Humane Society.

Becky Rhoades, director of the society, took Hok Get on her first walk with other quarantined dogs in the exercise yard yesterday. On a walk on Monday with no other dogs around, Hok Get immediately began trying to dig her way under the fence, Rhoades said.

Hok Get, formerly known as Forgea, was brought to Kauai on Monday morning. Rhoades, who spent much of the first day sitting on the floor doing paperwork in Hok Get's room, said the "real breakthrough" came after a couple of hours when the dog ventured out of her crate for attention.

Rhoades predicted it will be another week before Hok Get adjusts completely. The dog's quarantine ends Aug. 30.

She will be adopted by Michael Kuo, longtime friend of Chung Chen-po, the Insiko's captain and owner of the dog.

The 2-year-old mixed terrier arrived in Honolulu Thursday aboard the tug American Quest, which also towed the burned-out Insiko 1907. The dog was captured by tug crewmen after spending 24 days alone on the drifting tanker.

The dog was the pet of the tanker's captain, who was rescued on April 2 along with the 10 crew members by the cruise ship Norwegian Star.

Meanwhile, crews plan to pump water from the tanker in hopes of finding the body of crewman Gi Huy Nian, who died in the March 13 fire that disabled the vessel. A Coast Guard spokeswoman said last night that the body has not been found on board and they have yet to confirm that a body is there.

E-mail to City Desk


Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]

© 2002 Honolulu Star-Bulletin