For Your Benefit
For and about Hawaii's military

See also: In The Military

TRICARE For Life covers
military retirees over 65

Question: If I am a TRICARE For Life beneficiary, can I have a Veterans Affairs prescription filled at a military treatment facility at no cost or through the other TFL sources at lower costs?

Answer: Yes. TRICARE For Life covers all military retirees; spouses and survivors aged 65 and older who are eligible for Medicare Part A and Part B. You need to let your VA provider know that you are a TFL beneficiary and get a prescription that you can take to the Military Treatment Facility or outside sources. As enrollees in TFL, you can continue to get available medications at no charge through MTF pharmacies. The VA co-payment for a 30-day supply of medicine recently increased to $7 for non-service connected prescriptions.

VA prescriptions can also be used at other TFL sources. TFL offers prescriptions by mail through the National Mail Order Pharmacy, or you can utilize TRICARE Network Pharmacies, both require a modest co-payment. On Oahu, basically any Longs Drug store is an approved network pharmacy. If you choose to utilize a non-network pharmacy, the co-pay is slightly higher.

Q: I am considering applying for a VA home loan. What does the VA not provide?

A: The VA cannot guarantee that a home is free of defects; it can only guarantee the loan. It is the veteran's responsibility to assure that he/she is satisfied with the property being purchased. The VA appraisal is not intended to be an "inspection" of the property. You should seek expert advice (a qualified residential inspection service), as necessary, before legally committing to a purchase agreement. If you have a home built, the VA cannot compel the builder to correct construction defects, although the VA does have the authority to suspend a builder from further participation in the home loan program. For more information on home loans, call 433-1000, press 2 for benefits and then 3 for loan guarantee information. Another source is

If you have questions about your benefits as a veteran,
call Fred Ballard at the Veterans Affairs at 433-0049
or the Star-Bulletin at 529-4747.

Gregg K. Kakesako, who covers military affairs for the Star-Bulletin,
can be reached by phone at 294-4075
or by e-mail at

E-mail to City Desk

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]

© 2002 Honolulu Star-Bulletin