Honolulu police closed Seaside Avenue between Kalakaua and Kuhio avenues yesterday afternoon because of a break in the water line feeding to the Waikiki Trade Center.

Work crew causes
gas leak in Waikiki

Repairmen hit a gas line while
fixing a broken water conduit

By Nelson Daranciang

Repair crews working to fix a broken water line fronting Consolidated Theaters Waikiki 1 & 2 struck a gas line this morning.

The area already was closed to traffic and the gas leak was quickly sealed, said Steve Golden, spokesman for The Gas Company.

The break in a two-inch gas line that services Waikiki Trade Center restaurants occurred about 5:15 a.m. and by the time The Gas Company officials arrived Board of Water Supply workers had already sealed the leak. It was repaired completely by 7 a.m., Golden said.

BWS crews were working to repair an eight-inch water line that also serves the Waikiki Trade Center. That break occurred yesterday afternoon, flooding streets fronting the theaters next to the Trade Center.

Police closed Seaside Avenue between Kalakaua and Kuhio avenues and Lauula Street between Royal Hawaiian and Seaside avenues. The streets are expected to be closed through this afternoon.

The water problem was reported shortly before 4:40 p.m. yesterday, and police initially thought it was a water main. Board of Water Supply workers quickly determined that the water was coming from the line feeding the trade center, but had to wait for Honolulu City & County beautification workers to remove trees from the street before determining what caused the leak.

BWS provided the Waikiki Trade Center with a temporary water line last night until the pipe is repaired.

Still, bathrooms at the center were shut down, as well as some businesses. However, Consolidated Theaters Waikiki 1 & 2 on Seaside Avenue was unaffected.

E-mail to City Desk


Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]

© 2002 Honolulu Star-Bulletin