Ice cream truck caught in Keolu Drive sinkholeAn ice cream truck had to be pulled out of a 25-foot by 25-foot sinkhole near Keolu Elementary School on Keolu Drive after a water main break undermined Keolu Drive.
Police closed Keolu Drive between Kanapuu Drive and Akamai Street for most of the day yesterday while Board of Water Supply crews patched up the break in the 12-inch main at 1416 Keolu Drive. The roadway was expected to be reopened by 8 p.m. last night.
The truck's front end was in the sinkhole, which was wide but not very deep, according to police.
The break to the 12-inch water main occurred around 5:15 a.m. A water systems operator said the break affected Keolumana United Methodist Church and a baseball park.
The Honolulu Star-Bulletin strives to make its news report fair and accurate. If you have a question or comment about news coverage, call Managing Editor Frank Bridgewater at 529-4791 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Corrections and clarifications
Police, Fire, Courts
By Star-Bulletin staff
Honolulu Police Department Crimestoppers
6 people rescued from sailboat caught on reefSix people were rescued from a 40-foot sailboat last night when it ran aground on a reef outside Keehi Lagoon, the Coast Guard reported.
The Coast Guard was informed at 6 p.m. that two other civilian boats were trying to help the grounded sailboat, but didn't get directly involved until one of the helping boats, a 36-foot sampan, started taking on water, said Petty Officer 2nd Class Justin Acosta.
The Coast Guard deployed a 41-foot rescue boat to assist the sampan. At 8:45 p.m., the Coast Guard was still pumping excess water out of the sampan, Acosta said.
The Honolulu Fire Department Rescue Squad and boat helped the sailboat get to shore.
No one was injured and the damage to the boats had not been determined, Acosta said.
2 Big Isle families lose home in morning fireTwo Big Island families were left homeless after a fire gutted their Puna home yesterday.
A fire equipment operator said eight people, including four children, lived in the two-story home at 151828 31st Ave. in the Paradise Park subdivision. He said one family lived on the upper floor and the other family lived below.
Twenty-one firefighters and volunteers had the fire under control at 6:21 a.m. and extinguished at 6:48 a.m.
The fire caused $120,000 in damage. The home was not insured.
Officials said the fire was caused by an unattended candle burning in a back bedroom.
No injuries were reported. Fire officials said the upstairs was a total loss, while downstairs suffered water damage.
The American Red Cross gave the families temporary housing and vouchers for food and clothing.