For Your Benefit
For and about Hawaii's military

By Gregg K. Kakesako

Sunday, January 27, 2002

See also: In The Military

New Defense Act
means more money
for disabled veterans

Question: I heard that the Defense Authorization Act recently signed by the president includes some enhancements for special compensation to disabled veterans. As a retired disabled veteran, what does this mean for me?

Answer: The Defense Authorization Act includes a provision in the bill that authorizes concurrent receipt, but does not provide the funding needed to actually enact legislation allowing disabled military retirees to receive full disability and full retirement.

That authority would be possible when President Bush submits legislation in an annual budget request and Congress enacts legislation to offset the costs of this initiative. However, there are some provisions that will enhance the special compensation program for severely disabled military retirees over the next few years.

Effective Feb. 1, retirees who are 60 percent disabled will receive a payment of $50 a month. Effective Jan. 1, 2003, payments will be increased by $25 to retirees who are 80 percent to 100 percent disabled; and effective Oct. 1, 2004, payments will be increased an additional $25 to retirees who are 70 percent to 100 percent disabled.

If you have questions about your benefits as a veteran, call Fred Ballard at Veterans Affairs, 433-0049, or the Star-Bulletin at 529-4747.

If you have questions about your benefits as a veteran,
call Fred Ballard at the Veterans Affairs at 433-0049
or the Star-Bulletin at 529-4747.

Gregg K. Kakesako can be reached by phone at 294-4075
or by e-mail at

E-mail to City Desk

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]

© 2002 Honolulu Star-Bulletin