Kokua Line

By June Watanabe

Wednesday, November 14, 2001

Report reckless drivers
to HPD by mail or call 911

Question: Recently, while going west on the H-1, a white Mustang was tailgating me for a good two miles. I thought that I may have been going too slow, but when I checked I was doing around 52 mph. This car proceeded to switch to the middle lane (I was in the far left lane) and tried to speed by me, but there was a car in front blocking his way. When his car was about half way past mine, he suddenly turned into my lane almost causing us to crash. This car eventually took the Airport/Middle Street cut-off. Who do you call for things like this? I did not want to call 911, being that it wasn't an emergency, but it very well could have ended up that way.

Is there a way for HPD to notify this person about his driving habits? My girlfriend and 12-year-old niece were in the car and luckily nothing happened, but what about the next time? Can't something be done BEFORE the next death occurs because of idiots like this?

Answer: You should call 911, say it's not an emergency, and give a description of the vehicle and license plate number.

"Even if it's not an emergency, we will send an officer to check the area to see if that person is continuing to drive dangerously," said Honolulu police Capt. Bryan Wauke. "That person may be a threat to other drivers."

You can also write to HPD's Traffic Division, describing the situation and giving details, such as license number, time, date and place that you observe any reckless driving, Wauke said. Police will follow up by sending a warning letter to the registered owner of the vehicle.

Next time, the driver may think twice about how he's driving if he knows people are reporting his actions, Wauke said.

The address is Honolulu Police Department, Traffic Division, 801 S. Beretania, Honolulu 96813.

Q: When is the city going to clean the curb and the top of the sidewalk across from the Hawaii Convention Center? It's all full of grass and weeds. Recently, I slipped and almost fell on the street. It's been growing there for years.

A: Inspectors checked the area and did find it overgrown with weeds, said William Deering, chief of the city Housing Code Section.

A work order was sent on Nov. 9 to the city Department of Facility Maintenance to clean up the gutter portion under city jurisdiction, he said.

Meanwhile, the property owner at 1810 Kalakaua Ave. was sent a notice to clean up the abutting sidewalk area "because it's the property owner's responsibility," Deering said.


To the person for finding and not returning a black adjustable cane that was forgotten in a shopping cart at 99 Ranch Market on Nov. 6. Maybe you need it more than I do. -- Lorraine


To all the speeders on the quarter-mile stretch of Kuhio Avenue just before the zoo. Don't speed! It's next to a school, where the speed limit is 25 mph. It's hard for people to get in and out and make left turns onto Kuhio and very dangerous for everyone. -- No name

Got a question or complaint?
Call 529-4773, fax 529-4750, or write to Kokua Line,
Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 500 Ala Moana Blvd., No. 7-210,
Honolulu 96813. As many as possible will be answered.
Email to

E-mail to City Desk

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]

© 2001 Honolulu Star-Bulletin