Suspect in 1999 killing found guiltyA Circuit Court jury found Tyrone Galdones guilty yesterday of second-degree murder for fatally shooting his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend more than two years ago.
Galdones, 31, faces life with parole and a mandatory 20 years for using a semiautomatic firearm to shoot James Zoucha, 27, twice in the head at a Nanakuli home on Aug. 19, 1999.
He will be sentenced Feb. 12.
The defense had argued Galdones was suffering from an extreme mental and emotional disturbance after peering into his ex-girlfriend's bedroom window and seeing her sleeping with another man. Galdones testified he couldn't recall firing the gun which he had stashed in his waistband.
The state described Zoucha's slaying as an "execution."
Tammy Aiwohi, who bore the couple's two children and ended a 13-year relationship with Galdones just two months earlier, had testified that Galdones had warned her repeatedly that if she left him, he would kill whomever she was seeing.
TAKING A BITE OUT OF DENGUE FEVER
Health workers target sites where mosquitoes breed
Gang accused in murder of ex-Maui studentBOSTON >> A sixth person has been charged in connection with the killing of a Hawaii woman in Boston after her friends refused to participate in a gang initiation, prosecutors said.
Prosecutors said Io Nachtwey, 22, a former Maui Community College student, was killed in an act of intimidation and retaliation against her friends who had been recruited to be members of a gang.
Her friends were sent on initiation missions to steal money and valuables for the gang's leaders, prosecutors allege. When the new recruits apparently decided not to fulfill their missions, the defendants took Nachtwey to a park in Cambridge on Nov. 3 and walked her out onto a railroad bridge under the Boston University Bridge where she was stabbed 12 to 15 times and beaten with martial arts nunchuks.
Prosecutors said they discovered new evidence that led to the filing of a murder charge against Scott Davenport, 27, of Cambridge, today. Three other people were arraigned Friday.
The Honolulu Star-Bulletin strives to make its news report fair and accurate. If you have a question or comment about news coverage, call Publisher and Editor in Chief John Flanagan at 529-4748 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Corrections and clarifications
Police, Fire, Courts
By Star-Bulletin staff
Honolulu Police Department Crimestoppers
Search for missing fisherman suspendedThe U.S. Coast Guard has suspended its search for a 32-year-old fisherman who fell overboard in waters 114 miles southwest of Oahu.
Coast Guard officials searched from first light to 5 p.m. yesterday.
Officials said that the search will resume if there are any new developments.
The man was reported missing via radio distress call at about 2:30 a.m. Monday. He was only wearing his blue jeans and no life vest when he fell from the Two Star, a 54-foot fishing boat.
3 escape safely from fire in Palolo home last nightAn elderly couple and their son escaped without injury from a fire that caused an estimated $130,000 damage to their Palolo home last night.
Honolulu Fire Capt. Bernard Paloma said smoke and flames were coming out of the rear windows of the home at 1430 Pukele Avenue when they arrived at about 8:52 p.m. The fire was under control within five minutes and extinguished within 20-minutes. Damage was confined to the bottom floor, where the fire may have started in a rear bedroom.
A 40-year-old man and his parents, ages 70 and 64, were watching television when a smoke detector alerted them to the fire, Paloma said.
The cause of the fire is under investigation. The Red Cross is assisting the family with temporary housing.
Stereo store workers nab alleged suspect in theftEmployees of a stereo store chased down and restrained a man who allegedly ran away with goods until police arrived and arrested him.
Police said the man, 18, entered Island Sound at 1913 Young St. at around 1:15 p.m. Monday and asked to see an in-dash DVD unit in the display case.
An employee gave it to the suspect, who allegedly ran from the store without attempting to pay.
He was restrained by employees on Artesian Street, where he was arrested on suspicion of second-degree theft. He was released shortly after 6 p.m. pending investigation.
Police arrest suspect in Chinatown assaultPolice arrested a man for assault more than seven months after another man was attacked in Chinatown, allegedly over a beer.
At about 10:30 p.m. March 26, the 34-year-old victim was walking near the corner of Maunakea and Beretania streets when the 33-year-old suspect approached and asked him for a beer, police said.
The victim declined, the two exchanged words and the suspect allegedly tackled and assaulted the victim, who suffered a broken leg, police said.
Police arrested the suspect Monday night after the victim saw him on Maunakea Street and pointed him out to police.