Saturday, October 27, 2001


University of Hawaii's Ashley Lelie waved to the crowd
after last night's game in which he caught the winning
touchdown to help the team beat Fresno State, 38-34.

UH fever takes toll
on many a workplace

Loyal UH fans leave their jobs
early to watch the big game

Hawaii surprises No. 18 Fresno State

By Rod Antone

Instead of slaving away under the hot Sand Island sun, American Electric worker Eric Oneken decided to go to Dave and Buster's on Auahi Street yesterday to watch the University of Hawaii-Fresno State football game on a big screen TV.

UH Football His excuse for skipping work?

Coach's orders.

"I heard June Jones on TV saying that people should take off of work and come support the team," said Oneken. "After that it was like a seed that was planted in my mind.

"So here I am."

And he wasn't the only one. Joining him at Dave & Buster's were Leroy Knappenberger, and Steve Yuh and foreman Craig Inagaki.

Myra and Junior Mahiai were among those reacting at
the Dave and Buster's eatery near Ala Moana yesterday
as UH intercepted a pass during the first half.

"Yeah, he infected the rest of us with the idea," said Yuh.

It appears that there were a lot of UH fans who told their bosses that they were infected with something or other on the very same day of the game. Some sort of disease that forced people to seek out a TV before the 4:06 p.m. kickoff at Aloha Stadium.

"You know, that scratchy throat is going around," offered Straub nurse Bart Daniel from his seat at the bar.

Whatever the illness, the crowd at D & B's needed to be treated with beers and cheers.

"Lots of guys took vacation days, half the day off, sick leave, a few of them plain out lied to see the game," said Jeff Texeira, who confessed that his managers thought he was somewhere busy with "sales calls" and not sitting two feet away from the televised game at a bar.

"Yeah, I sneaked away."

Of course, there were those who didn't have to sneak off.

"Nah, I'm the owner," said Johnny Arreola of Johnny's Custom Interiors, who was busy watching the game at Magoo's Pizza on University Ave.

"In fact that reminds me, I have to call my boys at the shop, make sure they're still there."

A good idea, since there were some employees who waited until the boss was gone to make their escape.

A group of five guys who only identified themselves as "downtown accountants" made their way to Players Sports Bar on Alakea Street after their superiors left for the stadium.

"We're supposed to get off at 5," said their spokesman Shane. "We left at 3."

"Don't worry, we'll make up the hours later."

"Hey," said an escapee named Curt. "We're just following our leaders."

UH Athletics
Ka Leo O Hawaii

E-mail to City Desk

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]

© 2001 Honolulu Star-Bulletin