Kokua Line

By June Watanabe

Monday, September 24, 2001

Owner working on plans
for old Queen Theater site

Question: What are they going to do with the old Queen Theater in Kaimuki? It has been stagnant for so long. Why doesn't anyone want to see it come to life as a decent movie house? It would be nice to have an old-fashioned theater in Kaimuki, like how the Kaimuki theater used to be, with old-fashioned prices, maybe? Anyway, I have seen the theater empty for more than 20 years and am wondering why nobody wants to do anything with it.

Answer: There apparently is some possibility that the old theater, about 7,347 square feet under roof at 3588 Waialae Ave., will be renovated after being vacant for decades.

It's doubtful the property will be revived as a movie theater, but at this point it's not known what the possible uses are.

The landowner is "working with several parties on several pre-development issues," his development consultant told us last week. "We look forward to the next stage in the coming months."

He declined to go into specifics at this time.

Q: We have two houses on one property; the front house is rented out, and we live in the back. The problem is, the tenant and her husband rented our house and later got separated. The husband comes around to pick up the kids to go to school. One day he came by and started yelling at my dad for parking our car in "their" stall. The stalls are not assigned or designated in the contract; it only states one stall. They started arguing, and the husband started to threaten my dad. He said if he saw my dad anywhere off our property, he better watch out, and also said that he is not afraid of the law. A week later, my dad was outside, and the husband came by again to take his kids to school and yelled at my dad, "What you looking at?" They started arguing, and then the husband said, "Go back to China where you belong." What can my dad do? Can he get some kind of no trespassing against this man or a temporary restraining order? My dad had called the police, but the officer did not care; he did not make a report of any kind. It seems as if we have no rights.

A: Since you live in Kaimuki, you are advised to call the East Honolulu station (District 7), 527-6215, and talk to a supervisor.

Your father was "right to call police," said HPD spokeswoman Michelle Yu. Apparently, the officer who responded determined that the incident was an argument rather than a threat, she said.

Without more details, she could not say for sure why he did not make a report.

However, if you provide details of the call (date, time, place, etc.) and the name of the officer responding, if possible, someone will try to track down the case to see what happened, Yu said.

If you prefer not to do that, she said your father should immediately call 911 if he feels threatened again.

If, again, he feels an officer is not taking his call seriously, Yu said he should ask to speak to a supervising officer.

In a case like this, your father might be able to file charges of terroristic threatening, she said.


To Foodland for making a beautiful store in Kailua. We're happy to have them back. My only "auwe" is to whoever designed the parking lot -- it is not the best design in the world. -- Ann

Got a question or complaint?
Call 529-4773, fax 529-4750, or write to Kokua Line,
Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 500 Ala Moana Blvd., No. 7-210,
Honolulu 96813. As many as possible will be answered.
Email to

E-mail to City Desk

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]

© 2001 Honolulu Star-Bulletin