Police, Fire, Courts

By Star-Bulletin Staff

Wednesday, September 19, 2001

The Navy says it is making progress
dredging around the ship's bow

The Navy released this image on Monday showing the
damage to the stern of the Ehime Maru, the Japanese training
vessel that sank in February after being hit by the USS
Greeneville submarine about nine miles off Diamond Head.
This image shows a gash in the port side of the Ehime Maru's
stern. The Navy has been working to raise the ship and tow it
to shallower waters, where Navy divers will try to recover the
remains of its nine missing crew and passengers. Twenty-six
people on the boat were rescued. The Navy said it is making
progress dredging the area around the partially buried bow.

Corrections and clarifications

>> The bomb scare at the Maui Airport Friday night was a false alarm. A story Saturday about the airport's evacuation failed to make clear that the found bag contained no explosives.

Corrections and clarifications

The Honolulu Star-Bulletin strives to make its news report fair and accurate. If you have a question or comment about news coverage, call Publisher and Editor in Chief John Flanagan at 529-4748 or email him at

Police, Fire, Courts


By Star-Bulletin staff

Honolulu Police Department Crimestoppers


18-year-old held in stabbing case

An 18-year-old Makiki man was in police custody this morning in connection with the stabbing of another 18-year-old man in Waikiki.

Police said the suspect and two other men chased the victim into a fast food restaurant at 2184 Kalakaua Blvd. about 9:30 p.m. The victim was stabbed in the left chest and the men fled.

The victim was taken to Queen's Medical Center in critical condition. Police said a witness followed the suspect to Ft. DeRussy where he was arrested for attempted murder.


Woman hit by truck dies later in hospital

A 67-year-old Makakilo woman died last night when she was hit by a pickup truck as she was crossing a street in Kapolei.

Police said the woman was not in a crosswalk on Kamokila Boulevard near the Bank of Hawaii when a truck changing lanes struck her at about 7 p.m. The woman was taken by ambulance to St. Francis Medical Center-West in critical condition where she later died.


2 Kailua students arrested in assault

Two Kailua High students were arrested yesterday for allegedly assaulting a fellow student in the school's library.

Police said two 17-year-old boys approached another 17-year-old boy in the library about 4:30 p.m. and assaulted him for unknown reason. Police said the victim sustained extensive injuries including a cut near one of his eyebrows that required stitches.


Man hurt while refilling gas-powered generator

HILO >> A resident of Ainaloa subdivision south of Hilo was extensively burned Monday while refilling a gasoline powered generator detached from his house, police said.

Claude Dickinson, 33, was at the home generator shed about 9:30 p.m. when his wife heard him scream. She saw the shed burning and her husband, engulfed in flames, jumping into a water catchment tank.

Dickinson was taken to Straub Burn Center, where he was described in stable condition.

Maui firefighters battle brush fire

WAILUKU >> Maui firefighters spent nearly five hours fighting a brush fire near Kealia Pond started by burning sugarcane.

Assistant Fire Chief Alan Cordeiro said the fire burned an estimated 35 acres of brush land near the pond before it was brought under control at about 1 p.m. yesterday.

He said firefighting was difficult because winds gusted up to 33 miles per hour and the brush land was more susceptible to fire because of little rain.

"It's kind of dry, and it doesn't take much to set it off," Cordeiro said.

Authorities said there was no damage to the nearby refuge at Kealia and the sugarcane was ready for harvesting so there was no damage to the crop.

Cordeiro said the fire did damage a main transmission pole owned by Maui Electric Company Ltd.

Girl, 16, barricades herself with loaded rifle

HILO >> A potentially dangerous situation was avoided Monday when a distraught female juvenile gave up her weapon and was taken to the hospital for psychological observation.

At 2:48 p.m., police dispatchers received a 911 emergency call from someone who hung up the phone, but before the caller hung up, dispatchers heard struggling in the background.

They dispatched police officers to a Makani Circle residence, where officers found a 16-year-old girl who was holed up in a washroom with a loaded 44-caliber rifle.

The girl's boyfriend finally talked her into surrendering her weapon at 4:10 p.m. Fire rescue personnel then transported her to the Hilo Medical Center, where she was admitted involuntarily for psychological observation.

Police have initiated an insane suspect case and two terroristic threatening cases as a result of the incident.

E-mail to City Desk

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]

© 2001 Honolulu Star-Bulletin