Star-Bulletin Sports

Wednesday, September 12, 2001

America Attacked

UH soccer team
stuck in Spokane

The Wahine wait for word on
when they can return; decision
on weekend tourney coming today

By Al Chase

A decision will be made today by Hawaii athletic department officials on the status of the Outrigger Hotels & Resorts Soccer Festival that is scheduled to begin tomorrow night at the Waipio Peninsula Soccer Stadium.

The Wahine are hosting Cornell (N.Y.) and UC Riverside in the three-day tournament. Hawaii is scheduled to play UC Riverside tomorrow.

Cornell is scheduled to meet UC Riverside Saturday and the Wahine on Sunday.

But everything has been put on hold after yesterday's terrorist attacks in New York City and Washington, D.C.

The Wahine, who concluded their first road trip of the season Monday with a 2-1, double overtime loss to Eastern Washington following victories over Idaho and Gonzaga, were at the Spokane, Wash., airport at 5:30 a.m. yesterday when they learned all air traffic in the United States had been halted.

"We were scheduled to fly to Seattle and connect to a Hawaiian Airlines flight home. Fortunately, we were able to get our rooms back at our hotel," said UH coach Pinsoom Tenzing.

"The kids can see the enormity of the tragedy at the other end of the country. No one is complaining. It would be unseemly."

Most of the Hawaii players went to a movie yesterday afternoon and dinner was a team affair last night. The Wahine did not practice yesterday.

UC Riverside was traveling to the Los Angeles airport when the news broke. The Highlanders returned to campus.

UC Riverside school officials told Hawaii assistant athletic director Marilyn Moniz-Kaho'ohanohano a decision would be made today whether or not the team would travel to Honolulu, provided airports reopen as expected today.

Cornell, scheduled to fly from upstate New York to Hawaii tomorrow, has the green light from its athletic administration to make the trip.

Whether the Big Red would still make the trip if UC Riverside decides not to come won't be known until today. Also, if the Highlanders don't come and Cornell does, would the Big Red consider playing UH twice? Tenzing said that would be up to the Cornell coach.

The Wahine also can only sit and wait.

"The airport here doesn't reopen until 9 a.m. (Pacific Coast Time) at the earliest. Our travel agents are working on getting us back, but they can't do anything until they know the airports are open," Tenzing said.

Moniz-Kaho'ohanohano expects to make an announcement today on whether there are changes or not in the tournament dates or format.

UH Athletics
Ka Leo O Hawaii

E-mail to Sports Editor

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]

© 2001 Honolulu Star-Bulletin