Police, Fire, Courts

By Star-Bulletin Staff

Saturday, August 11, 2001


A 94-year-old man was reunited with his family yesterday
morning in Waimanalo. A Fire Department helicopter airlifted
Nobuo Kaneshiro from the Maunawili Ditch Trail after
he was located at about 9:15 a.m. by a neighbor, who had
been among those looking for Kaneshiro since Thursday
afternoon. He was taken to Castle Medical Center for
observation and released yesterday afternoon. Fire Department
spokesman Capt. Kenison Tejada said Kaneshiro appeared
to be in good health and spirits. "It's one of those stories
we really like. The ending, it was a happy ending," he said.

Corrections and clarifications

>> American Trans Air Flight 837 was about a day late in arriving here from New York City, not two days or 112 days late as reported in an article and photo caption Thursday.

Corrections and clarifications

The Honolulu Star-Bulletin strives to make its news report fair and accurate. If you have a question or comment about news coverage, call Publisher and Editor in Chief John Flanagan at 529-4748 or email him at

Police, Fire, Courts


By Star-Bulletin staff

Honolulu Police Department Crimestoppers


Cops raid hotel to catch suspected bank robber

Police have arrested a man suspected of robbing six Oahu banks since July 10.

Edward D. Leiffer, 38, was arrested yesterday at Pacific Marina Inn on Waiwai Loop near Honolulu Airport.

Two other men and a woman also were arrested, and police said crystal methamphetamine also was found in their hotel room.

The FBI has charged Leiffer with three bank heists: the July 10 robbery of City Bank's Kapahulu branch, the July 28 heist of American Savings Bank's Kaneohe branch and the July 30 robbery of American Savings Bank's Pearl City branch.

Leiffer also is a suspect in two other robberies last month and the robbery Monday of Hawaii National Bank's airport branch, located a few blocks from the hotel, the FBI said.

In all three heists in which he has been charged, the robber handed a teller a note demanding money and said he had a gun, according to the FBI. No weapon was seen.

The robber did not speak and fled with more than $1,000 in each heist, the FBI said.

2 arrested in death of drowning victim

Two 18-year-olds have been charged with second-degree murder in the death of a 59-year-old man whose body was fished out of Nuuanu Stream on Aug. 1.

Pedro Velarde of Palama and Alvin Samau of Liliha were arrested Wednesday night.

Police said the victim, Benjamin Amarino, drowned after being struck on the head.

Woman killed in crash was New Jersey resident

The Honolulu medical examiner identified the woman who died in Wednesday night's accident at Pearl Highlands Center as Monica Perez, 54, of New Jersey.

Perez was the mother of the driver of a van that hit a utility pole near Sam's Club at 6 p.m. Wednesday. Three others were taken to Queen's Medical Hospital in serious condition but have been released.

The van driver grazed a bus while changing lanes. Police said the bus driver honked his horn and startled the driver, who then made a hard right turn and crashed.

No one on the bus was injured.

Acquaintance of cashier is arrested in robbery

A 26-year-old man has been arrested in connection with an early morning pool hall robbery on June 11.

Police said the suspect approached the cashier at Shark's Amusement, at 1130 N. Nimitz Hwy., said he was robbing the pool hall, then grabbed the cashier's bracelet and punched him in the arm.

Police said the cashier was an acquaintance of the suspect, who then allegedly ran out of the pool hall with a Megatouch video game, police said.


Man awaiting trial flees from prison on Big Island

HILO >> A 35-year-old man awaiting trial and considered dangerous escaped yesterday from Hawaii Community Correctional Center, police said.

Harry K.R. Harrison, admitted to HCCC July 11, was charged with kidnapping, ownership and/or possession of prohibited firearms, terroristic threatening, abuse of a family or household member, and criminal contempt.

Warden Beryl Iramina said Harrison was in the recreation yard when he escaped at about 1:40 p.m.

"The specifics are still being investigated," Iramina said.

The warden said there was no indication Harrison was armed, but because of his propensity for firearms, he is considered a threat. There also was no indication he had any accomplices in his escape.

Harrison is described as about 5-feet-10 and 140 pounds, with brown eyes.

He also goes by the names Harry K.E. Alexander, Harry K. Harrison and Harry Kimo Harrison.

E-mail to City Desk

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]

© 2001 Honolulu Star-Bulletin