Saturday, June 2, 2001

Sex assaults bring
7-year term

A former military cop is
sentenced for abuse against
2 teen girls

By Debra Barayuga

A former military policeman was sentenced to seven years in federal prison this week for sexually assaulting two minor girls, one of them repeatedly over a period of two years.

William Hayes, 36, had sought a lower sentence based on his vulnerability to abuse in prison because of the offenses he was convicted of and because of his exceptional military career.

U.S. District Judge Alan C. Kay on Tuesday denied Hayes' request and granted the government's motion for a higher sentence based on the "extreme psychological injury" he had committed against his victims and his conduct, which the government contends occurred over a span of nine years, longer than the acts he specifically admitted to.

The girls were young teens at the time of the admitted assaults and were not strangers to him. Hayes pleaded guilty in January to having sexual intercourse repeatedly with the younger girl between January 1997 and February 1999. He also admitted to molesting the older girl when she slept over at the Hayes' home in September 1997.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Ed Kubo had sought a longer sentence also because there were two other victims who claimed they had been sexually abused by him.

One of the girls, who lives on the mainland, told investigators that Hayes' wife, Janice, told her to "forgive and forget" and that it was a family matter and would be dealt with. The girl later tried to commit suicide when she learned William Hayes was under investigation and knew she may have to testify as a witness.

Only after she attempted suicide did she come forward with information that he had abused her from when she was a preteen, Kubo said.

Hayes had nothing to say before he was sentenced.

Hayes' attorney, Pamela Tamashiro, declined comment on the case. Yesterday, the court allowed her to withdraw as his counsel because Hayes has indicated he wants to appeal against her advice.

Hayes' wife was sentenced in February as an accomplice to her husband's crimes for providing false statements to investigators.

She was ordered to spend 14 months in prison followed by three years of supervised release.

E-mail to City Desk

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]

© 2001 Honolulu Star-Bulletin