Wednesday, May 16, 2001

Visitor beaten,
burglarized in hotel
room in Waikiki

By Rod Antone
Star Bulletin

Virginia resident Blane Willard was one of several Waikiki Ohana Village guests whose hotel rooms were burglarized on Sunday morning. Willard, however, was the only one unfortunate enough to go back to his room while the burglars were still there.

"I think I said, 'Hey, how you doing?'" recalls Willard, who said at first he thought the two men were hotel employees cleaning up.

The response landed Willard in the Straub Hospital emergency room for two hours. Willard now has a broken nose, multiple bruises on his face and head and a bite mark on his back.

"I did have a hold on one guy," said Willard, 40, who stands 5 feet 5 inches and weighs about 135 pounds. "We were going to town."

Eventually, however, the two suspects overpowered him, beat him, then took an estimated $4,000 to $5,000 in jewelry that Willard had in his room and on his person. Before leaving, Willard said one of the suspects stomped on his face twice to make sure he would not follow them.

"At that point I wasn't going anywhere," said Willard.

"We found out that there were at least 3 other burglaries at that place," said Detective Letha Decaires. "There might have been more because people were tending not to report things."

Decaires said housekeeping reported a master key that opens hotel room doors missing earlier that day, between 6 and 7 a.m. Police said besides the two male suspects involved, a female suspect was also seen entering another room that was burglarized.

Police said all the suspects are described as in their early 20s. Willard was able to put together a composite sketch of the first male suspect who is described as 5 feet 10 inches, 160 pounds, short black crew cut hair and an olive complexion.

The second male suspect is described as 5 feet 10 inches, 140 to 160 pounds, has straight, black, neck-length hair and tattoos on both forearms. The female suspect is described as 5 feet, 100 pounds, has a thin build, black, wavy shoulder-length hair and a tan complexion.

Willard was supposed to have left Hawaii earlier this week, however he said he stayed to make sure that the public is aware that these suspects are still out there.

"I'm so mad, very angry," Willard said. "But I don't want anyone else to go through what I went through."

"Maybe next time somebody gets killed."

Anyone with any information on this case is asked to call CrimeStoppers at 955-8300 or *Crime on cellular phones.

E-mail to City Desk

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]

© 2001 Honolulu Star-Bulletin