Kokua Line

By June Watanabe

Monday, April 23, 2001

Doesn’t hurt to check
on unusual animals

Question: If we see snakes or other illegal animals, what is the number we should call to report them?

Answer: Call the state Department of Agriculture at 586-PEST (7378) or 837-8413 to report any unusual animal sightings.

You can also call those numbers if you suspect someone has an illegal snake, ferret or piranha, for example, said Domingo Cravalho, an invertebrate and aquatic biota specialist with the department.

Your name will be kept confidential, he said, but you are asked to leave a telephone number in case more information is needed in the investigation.

"The pest hot line is a good number to call for information to find out if an animal is prohibited and where to turn it in," Cravalho said. In fact, such animals can be turned in to all quarantine stations statewide, the Waikiki Aquarium, the Honolulu Zoo or the humane societies on all islands.

If you voluntarily turn in an illegal animal, you won't get prosecuted under an amnesty program, Cravalho said.

Q: At Pier 11 at Aloha Tower, when there is a ship in, I always see a city and county vehicle parked in front of the baggage claim area. It's always empty when I pass by the truck. Why is it there? I thought the state Harbors Division was in charge of the pier area.

A: A truck with the license number you gave is assigned to a mason crew with the city Road Maintenance Division.

The work crew may or may not have been there on legitimate business when you saw it, said Ed Yoshida, the division's assistant chief. But he instructed a supervisor to advise all division crews, "if they don't have business or a work assignment there, don't hang around."

Sometimes, workers may go to the area to clean up or to use the restroom, he said. He also said there are many similar trucks, so "it may not always be the same truck" involved.

In general, road maintenance crews would not have work to do at Pier 11, Yoshida said. However, he noted that other workers, such as those assigned to sewer maintenance, drive the same type of trucks and may often be called to help unclog a backed-up sewer at one of the many restaurants in the area.

If you have any more concerns about the vehicle, you can call Yoshida at 523-4472.


Along Farrington Highway, in front of American Savings Bank and by City Bank in the Campbell building, "No Parking" signs are posted. As long as I can remember, vehicles have stopped and parked on both sides of the street. It wasn't too bad a few years ago, but now that the state and city have opened buildings and the bus has a "transfer station," traffic is really getting heavy. My car was almost hit by a bus when the bus had to swerve to avoid a driver opening his door without looking. The car was parked in front of American Savings. Why don't police ticket vehicles? I hope it doesn't take an accident for enforcement to begin.

(We passed your complaint on to the Honolulu Police Department.)

Got a question or complaint?
Call 529-4773, fax 529-4750, or write to Kokua Line,
Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 500 Ala Moana Blvd., No. 7-210,
Honolulu 96813. As many as possible will be answered.
Email to

E-mail to City Desk

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]

© 2001 Honolulu Star-Bulletin