Advertisement - Click to support our sponsors.

Kokua Line

By June Watanabe

Tuesday, January 16, 2001

Speeders on
Hamakua Dr. worry
Kailua resident

Question: I live on Hamakua Drive in Kailua where the speed limit is 25 mph. Although this is a residential area, many vehicles drive past my home at speeds of up to 45 mph, sometimes faster. Police officers monitor my street, but it has not deterred speeders, especially late Friday and Saturday nights.

The glued-on round bumps placed before the residential area as you go over the bridge toward Keolu Drive are not a good deterrent because most vehicles are wider than the bumps' width, so their tires drive "outside" the bump area.

On Aumoe Road in Kailua, where there are homes and a small triangle park, low and wide speed bumps have been placed. How would I go about requesting this type of speed bumps for my street? I am afraid of getting rear-ended while driving into my driveway.

Answer: Would you believe there is a distinction between "humps" and "bumps," at least when it comes to "traffic-calming" measures?

Humps are often installed through community action, but the city's normal practice is not to install speed bumps "due to safety and liability concerns," according to Cheryl Soon, city director of transportation services.

The rumble strips you refer to on Hamakua Drive before the residential area are considered "bumps." But the "low and wide speed bumps" on Aumoe Road are referred to as speed "humps," Soon said.

"Speed humps and other traffic-calming devices are pursued with community participation under projects such as our traffic-calming program," she said.

Soon said the city normally looks to speed-limit signs and "consistent enforcement" by the Honolulu Police Department to address speeding concerns.

Based on your letter, she said, HPD has been requested to monitor Hamakua Drive, especially late Friday and Saturday nights.

Recycling Christmas cards

If you want to recycle your Christmas cards -- as well Thanksgiving, Mother's Day, Easter, etc., greeting cards -- the St. Jude's Ranch for Children in Nevada is one organization that can use them. A Kokua Line reader suggested the alternative, after local resident Cindy Delgado asked people not to send her cards for at least a year.

Delgado is taking a year's break from making picture books from used Christmas cards for hospitalized children.

St. Jude's Ranch, which helps abused, abandoned and neglected children, accepts used card fronts that can be trimmed to fit 5-inch-by-7-inch card backs and that do not have writing on the back.

Children at St. Jude's trim and glue the cards onto pre-printed card backs, which are sold to the public. Each child is paid 15 cents for each card. The money is divided between spending money, savings and a cottage fund for group outings, according to St. Jude's.

Send the card fronts to St. Jude's Ranch for Children, 100 St. Jude's St., Boulder City, NV 89005-1681.

For more information, call 1-800-492-3562 or check the Web site:


To whoever turned in my black tote bag that I forgot at the Kuakini Medical Center patient drop-off area on Dec. 13. You saved me a lot of pilikia in replacing the items it contained. I hope you had a happy holiday and may the consideration be returned to you should you find yourself in a similar predicament. -- Lily G.

Need help with problems? Call Kokua Line at 525-8686,
fax 525-6711, or write to P.O. Box 3080, Honolulu 96802.
Email to

E-mail to City Desk

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]

© 2001 Honolulu Star-Bulletin