Tuesday, September 28, 1999

Those pursuing native
land claims must file soon

Star-Bulletin staff


The Claims Review Panel of Hawaiian Home Lands is reminding individuals who have submitted trust claims that they must file a notice with the panel by Friday if they wish to pursue the claims in court.

"The governor vetoed a bill to extend the claims process, so the process is ending," said Panel Chairman Peter Trask. "Unfortunately, there is nothing in the law to tell claimants what happens when there is a veto. It seems that the only option for claimants who wish to pursue their claims is to file a lawsuit in Circuit Court."

Even before a suit is filed, the law requires a claimant to file a notice with the panel, Trask said.

"Since there has been no specific legislative action on each claim, we do not know how this provision will be interpreted by the courts," he added.

Notices may be filed with the Hawaiian Claims Office at 250 S. King St., Room 412, 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., or mailed to the claims office at P.O. Box 541, Honolulu 96809.

For more information, call 586-2826, or 1-800-481-0800 from the neighbor islands.

E-mail to City Desk

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
[Stylebook] [Feedback]

© 1999 Honolulu Star-Bulletin