Honolulu Star-Bulletin - Kokua Line

Kokua Line

By June Watanabe

Tuesday, August 10, 1999

Anyone can check
their police record

Question: How can I check to see what my police record is?

Answer: You can go to the Honolulu Police Department's Records Division on the first floor. You must show some kind of photo ID. However, if you have any outstanding warrants for your arrest, be advised that you face being arrested on the spot, an HPD spokeswoman said.

The second way is to go to the Hawaii Criminal Justice Data Center, 465 S. King St., Room 101.

There, you can use the public access terminal to get information on criminal convictions. However, although this is public information, the only way to access such information is to type in a name, Social Security number and date of birth, said Hannah Kawakami, assistant administrator for the data center.

The other way is through the more restrictive "access and review" program. You can check your full record -- nonconvictions as well as convictions -- by filling out a form and giving your fingerprints, Kawakami said.

"We use those fingerprints to verify whether the record we have on file is theirs or not," she said. If there is a match with fingerprints, you can get a copy for $25.

Q: I am livid. Hawaii's roads are bad enough without contractors tearing up roads to do underground repairs and then literally slapping on asphalt to create mountains and leaving holes unfilled. What agency oversees this sloppy work and how do I file a claim for damages to my car?

A: It depends on whether it's a state or county road.

If it's a state roadway, contact the Department of Transportation's Oahu highways division to make your complaint and to request a claim damage form. Call 831-6702.

If it's a city street, call the city corporation counsel's office at 523-4639 to do the same.

Q: I have a car on the Big Island that I would like to donate to a worthy organization, but I am unable to locate one. Can you help?

A: Call the National Kidney Foundation's toll-free number, (800) 488-2277. Its Kidney Car program is accepting vehicles on the Big Island, Kauai and Maui, in addition to Oahu.

If other organizations do the same, call 525-8686, and we'll add your name to the list.


To Kaipo and Paula Young. One evening before Ala Moana Center closed, we had a flat tire. We pulled in at Sears Auto Service and asked if they could change our tire. They said their compressor was turned off and they didn't do emergency service. But Kaipo and Paula (a Sears employee) were on a walk and offered help. It's nice to find people with the aloha spirit who do "emergency service" when they see a need. -- JTM


To people who park on the sidewalk along St. Louis Drive. Those of us going to the park or going hiking have to walk on the road to get around these cars. -- No name


To volunteers and city workers for planting naupaka around Diamond Head, keeping it green and trimmed. The only "sore" spot is a retaining wall on Diamond Head Road, which looks like the outside of Alcatraz Island, all bolted and fortified. How about planting fig vines or doing landscaping to cover up the ugly wall? -- Gerry D.

Need help with problems? Call Kokua Line at 525-8686,
fax 525-6711, or write to P.O. Box 3080, Honolulu 96802.
Email to kokualine@starbulletin.com

E-mail to City Desk

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
[Stylebook] [Feedback]

© 1999 Honolulu Star-Bulletin