Gas leak at Ihilani Resort is located and fixed


POSTED: Sunday, October 18, 2009

A Honolulu Fire Department hazardous materials team located the source of a gas leak early today  at the Ihilani Resort and Spa at Ko Olina in Kapolei, Fire Capt. Earle Kealoha reported.

He said fire units were sent at 6:30 a.m. to investigate a gas odor at the property. Employees said they had smelled the odor for a few days, Kealoha said.

Firefighters monitored the building and surrounding area with combustible gas detectors and found the source of the leak in a stairwell on the west side of the resort, he said.

 “The area around the leak was secured and people in the immediate vicinity were moved to a safe zone,” Kealoha reported. No resort guests were asked to evacuate although some may have done that voluntarily, he said.