POSTED: Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Man is indicted in robbery of Kaimuki Longs Drugs Store

A man who robbed Longs Drug Store in Kaimuki on May 8 got away with about $7,000, said Vickie Kapp, deputy city prosecutor.

An Oahu grand jury returned an indictment today charging Richard C. Webb, 48, who has no known local address, with first-degree robbery and kidnapping. He remains in custody unable to post $50,000 bail.

Honolulu police said Webb robbed the Longs Kaimuki Shopping Center store May 8 just about 11:15 p.m.

Kapp said the defendant entered the store, grabbed the store manager by the arm and ordered her to open the store safe.

Police said Webb also said he had a gun. He fled after getting the money from the safe, police said. They arrested him Thursday at Ala Moana Center.

Stabbing suspect judged fit for trial

A man accused of entering an unlocked Kapiolani Boulevard apartment and stabbing a married couple and their 2-year-old daughter in an apparent random attack is mentally fit to stand trial, a state judge ruled yesterday.

The judge made the findings based on the recommendations of three court-appointed mental health examiners who said in their reports that Sato Franklin Sigrah understands the court proceedings and can assist his lawyer in his own defense.

Sigrah, 20, is scheduled to stand trial this summer on charges of second-degree murder, first- and second-degree attempted murder and first-degree burglary. He remains in custody at the Hawaii State Hospital, unable to post $500,000 bail.

Authorities moved Sigrah to the State Hospital after another state judge found him mentally unfit to stand trial last year based on previous reports by the same three mental health examiners.

Lyola Mesebeluu, 27, died from multiple stab wounds to her chest in an Oct. 11, 2008, attack. Mesebeluu's husband survived injuries he suffered fighting off his wife's attacker. The couple's daughter suffered a cut to her arm.

When police arrested Sigrah in the apartment, he had an empty 1.75-liter vodka bottle in his backpack. They said Sigrah's blood-alcohol content was 0.19 more than two hours after his arrest. That is more than twice the level at which state law considers someone too drunk to drive.