Police and Fire


POSTED: Monday, December 28, 2009

Man accused in Laie stabbing is charged

Authorities charged a 66-year-old man yesterday in a stabbing Saturday at Malaekahana State Park in Laie.

John Heneli Kamauoha, who has no local address, was charged with attempted second-degree murder, first-degree terroristic threatening and second-degree assault and harassment.

Bail was set at $100,000.

At about 3 p.m. Saturday, police said, Kamauoha approached a 56-year-old stranger and stabbed him several times with a knife, then made threats with the knife to a 33-year-old man.

He began throwing rocks at the younger man, then, when police arrived, threw rocks at an officer, police said. The victim's condition was not disclosed.


Police euthanize calf injured in car accident

Police euthanized an injured calf Saturday night after she was struck by a car on Kamehameha Highway near Whitmore Village.

No one in the car was injured during the 8:30 p.m. accident.

Police said the calf had been spotted running on the highway along with three other cows, who were not injured.


Near murder stopped by bystander at beach

Police arrested a 33-year-old man Saturday who allegedly assaulted a woman and then held her underwater at Waimanalo Beach Park.

The man, who has no local address, was arguing with the 21-year-old woman, and he hit her several times at about 9:20 p.m., police said.

He then pulled her into the water at the beach and held her head underwater until a bystander stopped him, police said.

Officers arrested the man on suspicion of second-degree attempted murder, kidnapping and abuse of a family or household member.

The woman was taken to a hospital for treatment.


Pearl City brush fire caused by fireworks

A brush fire in Pearl City that took three fire companies to fight Saturday night was caused by aerial fireworks, said Honolulu Fire Capt. Earle Kealoha.

The fire scorched an area about half the size of a football field in a steep gulch about 100 feet below Ahakapu Street in Pacific Palisades.

Firefighters, who were called to the scene at about 9:15 p.m., prevented the fire from spreading to houses.

The fire crept to within about 50 feet of homes, but about 15 firefighters stretched lines between several residences and were able to stop the progress of the blaze, Kealoha said in a news release.

The fire was extinguished at 11:43 p.m., he said.