Police and Fire


POSTED: Monday, December 07, 2009

California man drowns on Kauai

A 48-year-old California man drowned yesterday at Kipu Falls on Kauai.

At about 1:40 p.m. the Apple Valley man and his son jumped off the falls into a pool and swam to a nearby rock, a Kauai news release said. The man swam back toward the waterfall but went underwater about halfway.

Firefighters and rescue specialists from the Lihue Fire Station jumped off the falls and unsuccessfully searched for the man with snorkeling gear.

Firefighters with scuba gear entered from the other side of the river and found the man at the bottom of the pool.

He was pronounced dead at Wilcox Hospital.


Multiple injuries in Waianae crash

A car-truck collision in Waianae yesterday left two adults and a young child injured, Honolulu fire officials said.

Capt. Earle Kealoha said the three were transported by Emergency Medical Services for further treatment after the truck in which they were passengers was struck by another vehicle as they entered Farrington Highway near the Waianae Fire Station. The crash occurred around 7:10 p.m.

At least one of the adults, a male in his 40s, suffered possible life-threatening head injuries after he was thrown from the truck, Kealoha said.

It was unclear whether the other male, in his 30s, and the child, 1, were in the truck bed or the cab. The driver of the car refused treatment at the scene.


Police investigate tow truck damage

A 22-year-old Aiea man was arrested Saturday on suspicion of damaging a tow truck that was trying to tow his vehicle in Kalihi.

Police said that at about 7:30 p.m. a 49-year-old man had the suspect's vehicle hooked up for a violation on Ahiahi Street when the man got into his vehicle and drove it off the tow hitch, which was damaged.

Police arrested the man on suspicion of second-degree criminal property damage, but he was released pending investigation.


Woman found dead in Waipahu

Homicide detectives are looking into the death of a 24-year-old woman who was discovered in her secured apartment in Waipahu shortly before 1 a.m. Saturday.

Her husband found her unresponsive and called for help. Emergency Medical Services pronounced her dead.