Top cop during sniper spree now retired in N. Carolina after HPD job


POSTED: Sunday, November 15, 2009

QUESTION: What ever happened to former Montgomery County, Md., Police Chief Charles Moose, the face of law enforcement during the 2002 D.C. sniper shootings who retired and moved to Oahu and became a Honolulu police officer?

ANSWER: For Moose, Tuesday was not just the day John Muhammed was executed for the sniper shootings.

Three years ago to the day, the Honolulu Star-Bulletin reported Moose was pinned with the badge of a Honolulu police officer. A picture from the story shows him a draped up to his nose in colorful leis.

Moose had chosen to write a personal memoir of those “;Three Weeks in October”; over continuing in his capacity as chief of police.

Not wanting to give up law enforcement, the then-53-year-old had to start from the bottom all over again and trained at the Honolulu Police Academy.

Moose had worked off several pounds during his months of a grueling test of his physical abilities as well as having to study the laws of another county and state.

He came out looking lean and fit when he graduated from the Honolulu Police Academy on Nov. 9, 2006. “;It got an old guy in shape,”; he had told the Star-Bulletin. “;I did lose weight, but I'm ashamed to say how much.”;


Moose had said returning to patrol after serving as a high-ranking law enforcement officer would not be a problem for him.

The following Monday, Moose hit the streets of Waikiki as a patrol officer in training. That lasted for four months or so, said HPD Maj. Clayton Kau. After completing his training, he was assigned to the Kapolei District.

But Moose resigned from the department on May 22 last year, Kau said.

Moose, who was also a lieutenant colonel with the Hawaii Air National Guard, took a position as commander of the 154th Security Forces Squadron based out of Hickam Air Force Base, said Jeff Hickman, spokesman for the Hawaii National Guard.

Moose is now retired and living in North Carolina, according to a Washington, D.C., television station, which contacted him before Muhammed's execution.

He told a Fox5 D.C. reporter that he wasn't interested in witnessing the execution.