Police and Fire


POSTED: Monday, October 19, 2009

Man barricades himself in Waipahu

A man believed to be armed with a rifle barricaded himself within a towing company Sunday night in Waipahu, police said.

About 7 p.m., patrol officers responded to reports of shots fired on Awanei Street, said Honolulu Police Department Capt. Letha DeCaires.

HPD's Specialized Services Division, which has a Special Weapons and Tactics Teams, responded to the barricade situation, she said.

As of 10 p.m., no injuries were reported and further information was not available.

Man found dead after boat fire Saturday night

Firefighters discovered the body of a man in his 30s while fighting a fire on a fishing boat docked at Pier 38 Saturday night.

Fire department spokesman Capt. Earle Kealoha said the firefighters responded to a report of a 75-foot commercial fishing boat on fire at about 10:15 p.m.

It took firefighters about 15 minutes to contain the blaze.

After bringing the fire under control, fire crews found the man's body near the engine room.

Investigators believe the fire was started by a propane camping stove in the galley behind the wheelhouse of the boat, Kealoha said.

;[Preview]  Crew Member Killed In Boat Fire In Honolulu Harbor

Honolulu fire investigators and the US Coast Guard are trying to determine what caused a boat fire in Honolulu Harbor that left one man dead.

Watch ]


The fire damaged the main deck and upper deck of the vessel.

Damage was estimated at $120,000.

The Coast Guard also is investigating.

Sighting of 8-foot shark closes beach on Kauai

Kauai officials closed a portion of Poipu Beach yesterday after an 8-foot gray shark was spotted in the water.

A diver reported the shark to lifeguards on the western end of Poipu Beach fronting Marriott's Wiaohai Beach Club at about 2:45 p.m., said Beth Tokioka, a Kauai County spokeswoman.

That portion of the beach remained closed for rest of the day, she said.

Murder case opened after man shot on Maui

Maui police have opened a second-degree murder investigation in connection with a fatal shooting yesterday morning in a remote section of eastern Maui.

Police said a male was taken by helicopter from Kaupo to the Maui Memorial Medical Center, where he died at 11:33 a.m.

The identity of the person is pending notification of the next of kin.

Further information was not immediately available, said Maui police Lt. Wallace Tom.

Kaupo is on the eastern tip of Maui beyond Hana and Kipahulu.

For hikers the Kaupo Gap is a popular exit route from Haleakala Crater.

Fire crews find source of gas leak at hotel

A Honolulu Fire Department hazardous materials team located the source of a gas leak Saturday at the Ihilani Resort and Spa, Fire Capt. Earle Kealoha reported.

He said fire units were sent at 6:30 a.m. to investigate a gas odor at the property. Employees said they had smelled the odor for a few days, Kealoha said. Firefighters monitored the building and surrounding area with combustible-gas detectors and found the source of the leak in a stairwell on the west side of the resort, he said.

“;The area around the leak was secured, and people in the immediate vicinity were moved to a safe zone,”; Kealoha reported.

No resort guests were asked to evacuate, although some may have done that voluntarily, he said.