Hawaii Beat


POSTED: Saturday, October 17, 2009

Wahine earn first WAC soccer win of season

The Rainbow Wahine soccer team picked up its first Western Athletic Conference victory of the season in a 2-1 victory over Louisiana Tech yesterday at Lady Techster Soccer Field.

Hawaii (5-8-0, 1-2-0) was knotted up at a goal apiece with the Lady Techsters (11-5-1, 0-5-0) until Mari Punzal knocked in her first goal of the season to give the Rainbow Wahine a lead they would not relinquish.

Britta Bourne had Hawaii's other goal and Kanani Taaca had six saves to lead the Rainbow Wahine defense. Bourne gave Hawaii the early advantage, shooting a ball to the right of the LTU goalie in the 20th minute, with Ambree Ako assisting on the play.

Hawaii continues its road trip with a match at New Mexico State tomorrow at 9 a.m. Hawaii time


UH tennis team wins 4 matches

Three Hawaii tennis players won on the second day of the Wilson/Intercollegiate Tennis Association Southwest Regional Tennis Championships yesterday.

Andreas Weber defeated Ravid Hazi of Arizona 6-0, 6-1, Daniel Lajola defeated Geoff Embry of Arizona 7-5, 4-6, 6-3 and Philipp Eberhard beat Max Glenn of UCSB 6-7, 6-3, 6-4. The tandem of Dennis Lajola and Jeremy Tweedt gave Hawaii its only doubles victory defeating Sebastian Bell and Rob Foy of Cal Poly 8-6.



Seasiders win doubles tourney

Yuan Jia and Jenny Chin rallied from a one-set deficit to beat Tereza Sykorova and Sabina Baberadova of Francis Marion (3-6, 7-6, 6-1) and win the ITA Small College Championships Division II Tournament yesterday. Jia also gave BYU-Hawaii another win when she defeated Florida Southern's Senka Softic in semifinal singles, 6-3, 6-1.


Ploeger gets another shutout

Brigham Young-Hawaii took out Birmingham Southern yesterday 2-0 in dominant fashion to improve to 9-2.

Seasiders goalkeeper Becky Ploeger recorded her fourth shutout of the season but only had to contend with two shots from the opposition. Natasha Aiono got the scoring going for BYU-Hawaii with a header in the 10th minute off a Kami Strait free kick. The Seasiders got on the board again 44 seconds later after Tara McPartland knocked in the second goal of the game.