No arrests yet in shooting that injured 5


POSTED: Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Likini Street residents awoke early yesterday morning to the sound of gunshots in Aliamanu after a male suspect shot five other males.

“;They were really loud. It was quite frightening 'cause it woke me up. I didn't know what was happening,”; said Kurt Collo, 16.

Police were still looking yesterday for the male who reportedly fired three shots on the street sometime after midnight Monday.

Police said the victims were hanging out in their driveway at about midnight when the suspect and others drove by in two vehicles.

They stopped the vehicles down the street and got out and challenged the five to a fight, police said.

The victims, two 17-year-olds, two 18-year-olds and a 21-year-old, ran down the street to fight, police said.

But when they were confronted by the people from the cars, who were armed with baseball bats, pipes and sticks, the victims retreated, police said.

A 20-year-old man, who identified himself as a friend of the victims, said 12 males exited the vehicles.

As they fled, a suspect fired a shotgun at them, hitting all five, police said. The friend said he heard three shots.

According to witnesses, the shooting occurred near 4358 Likini St.

City Emergency Services Department spokesman Bryan Cheplic said Emergency Medical Services personnel treated four in the shooting — three were in serious condition and one was in stable condition.

Police said the victims were taken to the Queen's Medical Center, where they were treated and released.

A neighbor said his brother was standing nearby in his own driveway when the shooting occurred and was hit by the ricochet but not seriously injured.

Many residents said crime is a chronic problem in the neighborhood, noting a police helicopter was involved one time in some arrests on the street.

One man, who asked not to be named, said, “;This kind of stuff goes on and on — tit for tat.”;

Police have not made any arrests.

The shooter faces arrest on suspicion of first-degree attempted murder, five counts of second-degree attempted murder, three counts of reckless endangering and a weapons offense.