Accused murderer jailed 7 times after 2006 arrest


POSTED: Saturday, October 10, 2009

The man arrested for investigation in the killing of a visiting New Mexico woman has gone to jail seven times since 2006 for violating his probation for methamphetamine and drug paraphernalia possession.

Police have not charged Aaron Michael Susa, 31, in the Oct. 2 death of 25-year-old Bryanna Antone. However, he remains in custody on a probation revocation and traffic warrants. The Honolulu medical examiner has not released the cause of Antone's death.

On June 22, Circuit Judge Richard Pollack denied the state's request to revoke Susa's probation for drug and paraphernalia possession. Instead, he ordered Susa to jail for four months for violating the terms of his probation—for failing to obtain and maintain a residence approved by his probation officer and for his arrest on May 24 for harassing a police officer, according to court records.

It was the seventh time he had gone to jail for probation violations, and he got out just a day before a jogger found Antone's body on Waikiki Beach.

Pollack put Susa on five years' probation in June 2005 after Susa pleaded guilty to the drug and paraphernalia charges, stemming from a Jan. 17, 2005, arrest at the International Market Place. Police found him with a wad of cash wrapped around a glass smoking pipe that contained drug residue.

Pollack later sent Susa to jail for various probation violations:

» In June 2006 Pollack revoked Susa's first probation and resentenced him to a new five-year term in June 2006 because Susa failed to report to his probation officer following his release from confinement and report that he moved to a new address. This time Pollack also ordered Susa to jail for six months.

» Susa was back in court in July 2008 for failing to report to his probation officer, failing to report he had moved to a new address and because he was convicted of a misdemeanor unauthorized entry into a motor vehicle. Pollack again revoked Susa's probation and resentenced him to another five-year term, this time under the HOPE probation program. Susa again was sent to jail for six months.

» While Susa was on HOPE probation, Pollack sent him to jail five times for periods ranging from one week to the four-month jail term ordered in June. Susa's violations were for failing to report to his probation officer, failing to obtain and maintain an approved residence and twice refusing to submit to urinalysis.