Remembering Bryanna


POSTED: Thursday, October 08, 2009

Ewa Beach resident Ronald Bradbury brought a bouquet of flowers to a memorial Mass yesterday for 25-year-old Bryanna Antone of New Mexico, whose nude body was found on Waikiki Beach last week.

“;This is Hawaii. We're full of aloha and love. For her to come on her first trip ... to come over and meet one fate like that, that's not representative of Hawaii,”; said Bradbury after the Mass.

Bradbury said he did not know Antone or her family but felt compelled to attend the Mass to support them. He has two daughters, ages 11 and 18.

Police are investigating Antone's death as a homicide because of its suspicious nature and are waiting to question a man who has been hospitalized for an illness since Monday. The Medical Examiner's Office hasn't released the cause or manner of Antone's death, pending further information.

Bradbury was among the more than 100 people at the noon Mass at the Cathedral of Our Lady of Peace yesterday in remembrance of Antone of Rio Rancho, N.M.

The memorial was arranged by the Visitor Aloha Society of Hawaii. Executive Director Jessica Lani Rich thanked everyone who attended, saying, “;What happened to her was so tragic. The family is filled with sorrow.”;

One of Antone's family members attended the memorial. The family declined to be interviewed, but Rich said they appreciate those who showed their support. The family members left Honolulu yesterday.

;  Antone, who was baptized a Roman Catholic, was in Honolulu with her mother and brother to celebrate her 25th birthday. Her mother also attended the 150th anniversary of the American Dental Association at the Hawaii Convention Center.

Antone is survived by her mother, Barbara Antone, and two brothers, R.J. Bryan and Benjamin “;Ben”; Antone II, according to an obituary notice posted on the Albuquerque Journal's Web Site yesterday.

Funeral services will be held tomorrow in Rio Rancho, according to the Web site.

Meanwhile, Aaron M. Susa, a person of interest in Antone's death, remained at the hospital yesterday afternoon. Police found him hiding in bushes in Makiki on Monday and took him to the hospital for an undisclosed condition before questioning him.

Police said Susa was seen with Antone about four hours before her death early Friday morning in Waikiki.

The day before Antone's death, Susa was released from the Oahu Community Correctional Center on probation, according to the state Department of Public Safety.

Susa, who has more than 10 convictions since 2005 for trespassing, indecent exposure, liquor in public, and other offenses, was involved in a state drug rehabilitation program for his conviction of third-degree dangerous drugs and drug paraphernalia in 2005.

Michael Hoffman, Corrections Division administrator at the Department of Public Safety, said Susa was on probation under the program when he was arrested for harassment on May 26.

He remained in custody and was booked for violation of probation in early June. On June 24, he was taken to the Federal Detention Center, where he stayed until his release, Hoffman said.


Star-Bulletin reporter Rob Shikina contributed to this report.