Rapist sentenced to 50 years


POSTED: Tuesday, September 29, 2009

John C. Veikoso said he was not thinking clearly when he abducted and raped two prostitutes 20 days apart, and apologized to the two women in state court yesterday.

And he asked Circuit Judge Steven Alm for leniency.

“;Judge, please, I have too much to lose,”; Veikoso, 22, said, “;I'm an only child. Please let me go back to my family.”;

Alm told Veikoso he usually believes in giving people second chances, the opportunity to learn from their mistakes.

“;What you did here, though, is so horrible,”; Alm said, “;You are a serial rapist. You are a violent and dangerous guy.”;

Alm sentenced Veikoso to 20 years in prison for each kidnapping and rape, 10 years for a previous firearm possession case and ordered the terms run back-to-back for a total of 50 years.

He rejected the prosecutor's request to extend the 20-year prison terms for kidnapping and first-degree sexual assault to life behind bars with the possibility for parole. He also rejected Veikoso's request for a single 20-year prison term.

;[Preview]  Veikoso Will Serve 50 Years Behind Bars

John Veikoso, the man who kidnapped and terrorized two prostitutes did not receive mercy in Circuit Court.

Watch ]


A jury found Veikoso guilty of the Jan. 18 kidnapping and rape of a 23-year-old woman and the Feb. 7 kidnapping and rape of a 19-year-old woman.

In both cases Veikoso picked up his victims in downtown Honolulu and took them to Maunawili Elementary School, where he raped them.

Both rape victims said Veikoso should go to jail for the rest of his life.

“;I had to fight for my life that night,”; the second victim said.

The first victim said rape is a crime of control. She told Veikoso he no longer controls her.

“;I'm not your victim anymore. I survived you,”; she said.

Later, the two women embraced each other outside the courtroom.

Alm commended them for reporting the crime and testifying at trial. He said he believed Veikoso selected them because they were prostitutes and would not report what happened to them.

The first victim testified she suffered a broken collarbone and abrasions all over her body when she jumped from Veikoso's moving vehicle on Pali Highway.

She said Veikoso dragged her back to his vehicle, took her to the elementary school and washed her before raping her.

He later dropped her off outside Tripler Army Medical Center for treatment.