Quantcast
StarBulletin.com

Freed Lockerbie bomber claims innocence in Web documents


By

POSTED: Saturday, September 19, 2009

LONDON » The former Libyan intelligence agent convicted in the 1988 Lockerbie bombing has posted a 298-page dossier of legal documents on the Internet to support his claim of innocence in the attack on Pan Am Flight 103 that killed 270 people, including 189 Americans.

The decision by the former agent, Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi, to abandon an appeal of the 27-year jail sentence imposed on him at a 2001 trial removed one of the obstacles to his release and return to Libya last month. The Scottish government approved his return home on the grounds that Megrahi was terminally ill with prostate cancer, a decision that provoked outrage from the Obama administration and from American families who lost relatives on the flight.

In a statement, Megrahi said he had “;been deprived of the opportunity to clear my name”; by the end of the appeal process, and that he intended to “;do everything in my power”; to prove his innocence.

The documents posted on the Web (www.megrahimystory.net), from legal briefs presented by his lawyers to the Scottish appeal court earlier this year, focused on Megrahi's contention that he was wrongly identified at his trial as the man who bought clothes in a shop in Malta that were used to wrap the bomb that destroyed the 747.

He also argues that the trial court gave insufficient consideration to evidence that the bomb had not been placed on a feeder flight in Malta, but could have entered the Pan Am system in Frankfurt or London.

A spokesman for the Scottish government, Richard Baker, said the documents changed nothing. “;He remains in the eyes of Scottish justice the murderer of 270 people,”; he said.