Police and Fire


POSTED: Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Girl's death seen as suspicious

Big Island police are investigating the suspicious death of a 5-year-old girl in Hilo.

The girl, identified as Javieanna Win, was found unresponsive in a filled bathtub in an apartment on Puueo Street in the Wainaku area of Hilo on Sunday afternoon.

Police said the injuries on the child appeared suspicious, and officers had also received an earlier report that a man was seen grabbing a little girl by the hair and slamming her against a cement wall several blocks away on the corner of Shipman Street and Kamehameha Avenue.

Police arrested the girl's 30-year-old caregiver for abuse of a family/household member. He had not been charged as of last night.

The investigation is classified as a coroner's inquest. An autopsy is scheduled for this morning to determine the cause of the girl's death.

Big Island man missing 4 days


The public's help is needed in finding a 35-year-old Mountain View man missing since Friday, Big Island police said.

Jason Adams was last seen driving a silver Nissan Frontier pickup truck Friday morning after he left his house for Hilo.

The truck, which also has a makeshift pipe rack on its tailgate, was found Saturday on the Onomea Scenic Route. Police searched the area but did not find Adams.

Police ask that anyone with information about Adams' whereabouts call Officer Donovan Kohara at 961-2213 or the Police Department's nonemergency line at 935-3311. Callers can also call CrimeStoppers at 961-8300 in Hilo or 329-8181 in Kona.

Firefighters snuff Waiawa hot spots

Firefighters returned yesterday to the site of the 250-acre Waiawa fire to put out hot spots that flared up.

The fire, which closed the H-2 freeway on Saturday, is contained but not extinguished, said Capt. Terry Seelig, the Fire Department spokesman.

Seelig said firefighters are no longer actively fighting the fire, but “;if there's hot spots that flare up, we'll go back.”;

He said firefighters were called out in the morning and afternoon yesterday. He said it will likely be several days before the fire is considered extinguished.

3 lost divers returned to boat

Honolulu Fire Department rescue crews and the helicopter helped reunite three recreational divers with their dive boat off Wailupe yesterday morning.

Fire Department spokesman Capt. Terry Seelig said the people on the dive boat lost track of the three divers and called for help at about 10:50 a.m.

The Fire Department helicopter was able to locate the divers, who had surfaced, and bystanders in the area on personal watercraft assisted the divers until a Fire Department rescue boat was able to pick them up and bring them to their dive boat.